Broody hen killed almost all her chicks! I am so mad!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by perfectly_polish, Jun 4, 2008.

1. perfectly_polish

perfectly_polish Overrun With Chickens

Mar 1, 2007
    CT
    My broody and her chicks have an outdoor pen that they go in during the day, never had a problem with them. When I went to bring her in yesterday I noticed one chick was dead, I was sad, but I knew these things happen. So this morning I went to go let them out and there was 6 more dead chicks! I put her and the remaining chicks in the pen, a few hours later I checked on them and she killed 2 more and one is dying. I brought the rest inside. I don't know if she is stepping on them or pecking them to death, but I think it's time for the stew pot for her [​IMG]

2. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    Oh, I am soo sorry. I hate it when chicks die.....

Perhaps you could just use her as your henabator and raise the chicks yourself. Or do what I do, get a good banty mama and leave the work to her. [​IMG]

3. perfectly_polish

Mar 1, 2007
    CT
    Quote:She's not a good henabator either. I gave her 12 eggs to start, within a week she cracked 5. Then when the others started to hatch and pip she pecked open the shell and killed them too [​IMG]

4. Standard Hen

Standard Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    That is to bad! After all that brooding and then for this to happen. How many chicks did you manage to salvage?

5. perfectly_polish

Mar 1, 2007
    CT
    Quote:Well all the ones she was brooding I incubated and hatched myself. I was thinking about putting my sultans in with her but so glad I didn't. I have 5 left, and one barley hanging on. I hope he makes it.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2008
  6. reallemons1

reallemons1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Gloucester, VA
    Sorry about your babies. Guess she wasn't ment to be a mother. Hope your Sultans will be okay. I had a 1/2 barred rock 1/2 cochen bantum who as they hatched pulled them out from under her and killed them. I called her Jethrene Dominecker. Never let her set again.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2008
  7. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Thats so sad. I had a broody australorp that was going to kill all hers as well. I am so grateful i noticed before i lost any. I gave the chicks to a silkie (thank god for silkies) and she is raising them for me. I could not believe she was so mean.

8. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    What breed is the hen? I am sorry this happened!

9. perfectly_polish

Mar 1, 2007
    CT
    Quote:She's a Buff Orpington

10. chickensista

chickensista Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2008
    CT
    Is she a first time momma? Sometimes first timers don't get it right... But I'm sure you won't be giving her a chance to "prove" herself.
    Sorry 'bout all the babies. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by