Broody hen killed chick as it was hatching. Can I trust her? *banty egg hatches/pips tomorrow

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Moochie, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Moochie

Moochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    I was really devastated to find a chick with it's guts ripped out and shell still on it under my broody cochin.. It pipped today and I was so happy! "It's gonna hatch and I'll have a chickie by tomorrow" my thoughts and my happiness.. I don't know why she was still sitting on the dead chick though. She didn't crack open the other egg and kill the chick in there though. The banty egg with her is hatching tomorrow, can I trust her with it?
    This is her first time sitting on eggs. I read somewhere else that first time mothers will sometimes kill the chicks while they're hatching because of confusion or something like that. I'm hoping she killed it out of sensing something was wrong with the chick though, but then why was she still sitting on the dead chick? I found it under her this evening because I wanted to see how far the little guy was getting at breaking through the shell. I'm really sad and worried. I hope she doesn't do the same to the banty egg..

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    she may have accidentally stepped on it?... it died, she clumsily tried to get it to move... a million things could have happened. hang in there. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by