~*Broody Hen Killed*~

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by neener92, Jun 21, 2010.

1. neener92

neener92 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    My broody hen was killed....I believe last night sometime and by a coon that killed her sister who was also broody (I saved her eggs). Her eggs are kinda cold (one was cracked open and had a large chick in it about 2 or 3 days away from hatching. :[ Should I try to put the rest of her eggs under another hen or just throw them out?

2. jjthinkagain

jjthinkagain Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2010
    Ugh!!! I'm sorry - all I can think about is, why are these birds in such a vulnerable setup? One was bad enough...
    JJ

3. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    I have no intention of kicking you while you're down. If you have another broody, I would mark the eggs and put them under her; what do you have to lose? Good luck on the hatch and on fixing whatever the hole is in the coop.

4. 92caddy

92caddy Egg Lover

May 18, 2007
    Portland, IN
    Put em under another hen if you can. I have had eggs go for almost 2 days without a hen on them, I put em under another hen and they still hatched..........goodluck

5. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Quote:Not everyone can think of every single possible place that a possible predator could get through.

neener92, go ahead and put the eggs under another hen. There's no harm in trying.

6. neener92

Aug 30, 2009
    My birds are free rangers and go where ever they want. I wasn't concerned about anything getting her because my dogs usually keep all the predators away from my birds. But my sister did put the dogs in the cage last night, so they weren't out to watch over the chickens. On a lighter note I will put her eggs under another hen that was smart enough to make her nest in the coop instead of in the woods under a stump.

7. jjthinkagain

jjthinkagain Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2010
    Quote:That is certainly true and yet time and again on this site, there are additional kills after a first kill, without attempts to batten down the hatches after the first one. Guess I read one too many of those sad tales in the past few days, so many I can't count them at this point. I am frustrated about this, admittedly, as it is distressing to think of the terror the bird's endure when being attacked and all too often, ripped apart alive, especially when so much of it is preventable.

It could have been possible that this OP had done everything imaginable after the first kill to try to prevent another - and I would normally be absolutely sure before uttering a peep on behalf of a peep - but I had a strong sense it wasn't quite exactly like that (though one should never ever presume, even if one is slightly psychic :^)).

As we now know, the designated method of pred control was off duty so while the bird's death wasn't intentional by any means, it could likely have been prevented with due diligence. We are choosing to keep a species that is by and large utterly incapable of defending itself and so it is our job to do it for them, if we want to keep them safe. And when it's already known that a pred is on the take (in this case, the first broody that got killed) we have a heads up that there's an accident waiting to happen.

OP, I know you didn't want any of this to happen. And I'm equally certain you don't want it to happen yet again. The pred will be back and maybe even today. I would strongly consider getting your birds in lockdown temporarily, unless you're sure your dogs can fend off a determined pred who has discovered a gold mine and isn't ready to give it up. Again, I am sorry for these sad losses. And for being a bit tough on this subject - sorry that you were the 'lucky' one - there are times now and then when I guess I'm channeling the birds - saying what I think they would say to us, if only they could. I hope all will be well with the rest of your birds (and the eggs) for a long time to come.

JJ

8. neener92

Aug 30, 2009
    Thank you for answering my question! :]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by