1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broody hen laying egg everyday!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by goldeneggtees, Sep 28, 2010.

1. goldeneggtees

goldeneggtees Fluffy Butt Nut

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    Mrs. Cuddlesworth who has been broody this Spring and now again this Fall, has been laying an egg almost everyday for the past 2 weeks, whilst sitting on her fake eggs. Is that strange behavior? Seems like it would be doubly hard on Mrs. C. I take her off the nest at least twice a day so she eats and drinks and poos as I've never witnessed her getting up on her own.

My buff orps who are minus a roo are killing me with their broody ways. They are the broodiest hens in the world I think. I've given in and gotten them fertile eggs to hatch and have even introduced chicks to them but just can't see doing that all the time. I've tried ice packs under them, getting them off the nest throughout the day and they are still persistent. I've moved them to their own room minus a nesting box to no avail.

They are the sweetest, most lovely hens but when it comes to making babies, they are crazy!!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
  2. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    It's hard to imagine anything broodier than a silkie! [​IMG]

That's unusual for a hen to continue laying when broody. i've never had that happen.

Right now i'm lucky to only have 3 out of 42 hens broody. i have one hen that has raised three batches of chicks, but as soon as they are grown, she's back in the nest box hoping for more.

3. goldeneggtees

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    I've never had any silkies so I wouldn't know. My son has always wanted one but if you are saying they are broodier than BO's, forget it! I can't deal with it anymore! [​IMG]

That's cute that your hens go right back to the nest when they are finished raising the last batch. Mrs. C waited until she started laying again and then went back, maybe too soon as she is def continuing to lay. She does not leave the nest long enough for anyone else to get in there and lay their eggs.

I always knew she was destined to be special, hence her name. She is the biggest mush and really seems to love affection from her human mommy and is the best chicken mommy too.

When she was broody in the fall, I gave her 4 Speckled Sussex chicks and my other BO 4 Australorp chicks. Well, somehow, everyone got out to the other side of a fence where they shouldn't have been and Mrs. C must have flown over to "save" them. When we got home that night after dark. I found Mrs. C with all 8 chicks tightly tucked under her waiting by the chicken coop human door. So sweet she is. The other BO which is a goof ball was in her nesting box looking confused as usual. [​IMG]

4. goldeneggtees

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    I've never had any silkies so I wouldn't know. My son has always wanted one but if you are saying they are broodier than BO's, forget it! I can't deal with it anymore! [​IMG]

That's cute that your hens go right back to the nest when they are finished raising the last batch. Mrs. C waited until she started laying again and then went back, maybe too soon as she is def continuing to lay. She does not leave the nest long enough for anyone else to get in there and lay their eggs.

I always knew she was destined to be special, hence her name. She is the biggest mush and really seems to love affection from her human mommy and is the best chicken mommy too.

When she was broody in the fall, I gave her 4 Speckled Sussex chicks and my other BO 4 Australorp chicks. Well, somehow, everyone got out to the other side of a fence where they shouldn't have been and Mrs. C must have flown over to "save" them. When we got home that night after dark. I found Mrs. C with all 8 chicks tightly tucked under her waiting by the chicken coop human door. So sweet she is. The other BO which is a goof ball was in her nesting box looking confused as usual. [​IMG]

5. simpsoncj

simpsoncj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2009
    I currently have two bantams, one barred rock and one light brahma, that are always broody! It usually takes a week in solitary confinement (a wire bottomed cage) to break them and then it only lasts for two weeks and they are back on the nest! I have given up with them. I am going to try to give them to someone who wants a good broody hen. Their talents are being wasted here as I have no roosters and don't want to hatch out any eggs. It is weird though for her to keep on laying. Mine will usually lay for the first day or two, then nothing. And after I break them it takes two weeks for them to start again. So, I am averaging maybe four eggs a month from them in this constantly brooding state!! AARGh!
    CJ

6. simpsoncj

simpsoncj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2009
    Quote:As I already posted, I have two constantly broody bantams if your interested!!
    cJ

7. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Well, my buff orps never go broody, and I've never had a broody who continued to lay.

Chickens.... gotta love 'em.

8. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

You girls crack me up. The idea that you could possibly be stressed by a hen being broody is hilarious, especially if it`s a bantam. Surely you don`t miss the eggs and they don`t eat much, so why? just pass her along to somebody that doesn`t have a good broody and don`t stress yourself. Life is too complex to worry about something like that........Pop

9. goldeneggtees

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    I guess if I didn't care about their health too much, I wouldn't worry but I know that being in a nest box for three weeks for naught can't be good. These girls are my pests (oops, that was a freudian slip - I meant to write pets) [​IMG] as much as they are egg layers. It's just a little frustrating when they are constantly broody, especially without a roo. If I had a farm and I could have as many chickens as I wanted, they would be the most awesome gals around. Actually, they are already!

Quote:

Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
  10. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    I love that name, Mrs. Cuddlesworth. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by