Broody hen left 3 eggs in nest, need advice

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Jarsheart, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Jarsheart

Jarsheart In the Brooder

Jun 27, 2010
    Hello all,

My silkie hen was sitting on 5 fertile eggs (I candled them) that appeared to be the same "age" (sneaky hen started sitting when I was not around, and husband did not collect eggs from nest). Two of the eggs hatched on Tuesday (two days ago) and she has left the nest as of yesterday. She did sit on them last night. The hen house temperature is around 93* during the day. I candled the eggs since none were pipped, one had movement yesterday; today I felt movement in another egg. Should I just leave them in the nest box or should I move them into my incubator ? I have been told that I could put them in the incubator and when they hatch, I could sneak the chicks under her at night, and she will accept them in the morning and mother them. I really don't want the unhatched eggs to die.

Thanks,

Michelle [​IMG]

2. Oven Ready

Oven Ready Songster

May 9, 2010
    Thailand
    Whether or not they'll hatch in an incubator I don't know, we don't have one. Sometimes our girls leave the nest a bit too early, not many more hatch but some do - we are 100F all day and about 93F at night, so temperature here isn't too much of a problem.

If you do hatch them, she will take to them if you sneak them in just after she's 'gone to bed'. Leave them in the incubator for a couple of days old so they can walk about quick enough to keep up with the older siblings.

We do this a lot to balance out girls with lots of chicks and girls with only a few. The fewer chicks a girl has the quicker the rooster forces her to give them up and get back to laying, so balancing them out works in the chicks favor.

I hope at least one of them hatches for you.

3. Jarsheart

Jarsheart In the Brooder

Jun 27, 2010
    Thanks for your feedback, I went ahead and put the eggs in the incubator. Now it is wait and see.

Michelle

4. chickboss

chickboss Songster

Mar 23, 2010
    I just slippped a little chick back to her broody momma for the first time last night! It went really well! Good luck with your hatch and your Momma. [​IMG]

5. Jarsheart

Jarsheart In the Brooder

Jun 27, 2010
    Quote:Thank you so much, I read your other thread and it has given me much hope !! Waiting for these eggs to hatch is killing me !!

6. Jarsheart

Jarsheart In the Brooder

Jun 27, 2010
    Well, the two chicks hatched by my hen will be a week old tomorrow. No peeping or pipping from the 3 rescued eggs. Candling shows movement in one, and not much of anything in the others. I am still hoping they will hatch...

7. Oven Ready

Oven Ready Songster

May 9, 2010
    Thailand
    Any news, time seems to be slipping by for your little ones

8. Great advice! I have some eggs under my broody and a few in the incubator. I reckon she too will wake up with a few more babies [​IMG]

LOL, ya know I would be rather annoyed if I woke up one morning and there were more kids living under my roof. I can never shake that thought [​IMG]

~Steph

9. Jarsheart

Jarsheart In the Brooder

Jun 27, 2010
    Quote:I finally performed eggtopsies yesterday, all appeared to be between 18-19 days, perfect membranes, one had pipped a membrane, but all were in the wrong position. Buried them afterwards. I am really sad. This was the second time the same hen left the nest. The first time, there were 4 eggs, I thought 3 were dead in shell but all 4 hatched (one needed my help). This time, I was arrogant and thought all would hatch, and none did (except the ones the hen hatched herself). Thanks for asking.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: