1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broody Hen - listless

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by laceychick, Aug 1, 2008.

1. laceychick

laceychick New Egg

Feb 18, 2008
    Conwy, Wales, UK
    Hi, Bovan Goldline has been sitting on 6 eggs for 14 days now. Looked in on her this morning and she was laying at the side of the eggs head drooping. Don't think she has been out of the henhouse for 2 days so have tried to give her water (using a straw) and some oats but still has eyes closed. Help! [​IMG]

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Did you take her off for alittle while?...I have 4 broody hens at the moment setting on air!!...I just pick mine up and put them out the door for some time out!!..When I have one setting on eggs I just pick her up too and let her out in the yard for 20 minutes or so before she can wander back into the henhouse and her nestbox....Try filling her waterdish with some vits & elec...or plain gatorade in fresh water.....

3. laceychick

laceychick New Egg

Feb 18, 2008
    Conwy, Wales, UK
    Thanks, - have her in a cat box in the kitchen and she seems a little perkier. Not sure if eggs have survived but will get her some gatorade and try that out. I can see 2 eggs at the side of her so may have lost that clutch, but rather that than lose Misty.:|

4. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Quote:When we physically take the HEN off the eggs so she can eat , drink , etc. DO we have to do anything to the eggs to KEEP the temp from dropping ? Like cover them ? BRAND NEW to broody hen and eggs . HELP!!!!

I noticed Monday she was broody . So Tuesday I put 2 eggs under her , and another egg yesterday and another today . WE only hav e 3 hens laying . So trying to gather at least 6 or 8 eggs for her to sit on. She is a Austrolorp and very determined .

5. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    A broody hen will normally get up off the nest once a day to eat, drink and poo. You don't have to do anything to the eggs. It's actually better to leave them alone. I usually just check to make sure they are all in the nest box and that none are cracked.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by