Broody hen looks unwell

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bambi1991, Apr 29, 2017.

1. bambi1991

bambi1991 New Egg

Apr 29, 2017
    Hi guys, first time posting here! I've had hens my whole life, but my current hens (battery farm rescue hens) are only with me since December! They are about 1.5 years old and Rode Island Reds! They are beautiful! But one was sitting on eggs yesterday (she had hoarded over 20 eggs) and was super broody, I took the eggs off her as she only started sitting yesterday, and at the minute we don't want chicks (selfish-I know :( ) she was upset but when I let the chucks out today she was fine, one egg in the box but she wasn't sitting on it so I took the egg!

But now I've noticed that her belly is swollen, very swollen, almost on the ground, her comb is a dark purple whereas her sisters have bright red combs, she is very slow and won't eat (won't even eat berries or mango) she is barely drinking either! I gave her some garlic water, she took three drinks and knocked over the water!

She is very weak! What do I do? Is she dying? Should I keep her in the house tonight to keep her warm and comfortable?

Thank you guys

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
  2. bambi1991

bambi1991 New Egg

Apr 29, 2017
    Update- I think my chuck has EYP, she is slipping away :'(

3. jennyf

jennyf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2016
    Missouri
    So sorry... Good for you for at least giving her some decent time to be a "real" chicken. :(

4. bambi1991

bambi1991 New Egg

Apr 29, 2017
    Thank you <3

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC....sorry you're having troubles.
    How many birds do you have that she could be 'hoarding' 20 eggs, do you not collect eggs daily?

Sorry to say that very swollen belly(it's called ascites-several possible causes) is not a good sign.....
    ...nor is the purple comb(usually a heart/circulation failure).

I have had a couple, found best to euthanize sooner rather than later to shorten their suffering.
    So sorry :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by