1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broody Hen Loses Interest Midway Through a Hatch HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by RuralVirginia, Feb 23, 2014.

1. RuralVirginia

RuralVirginia Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2012
    My Buff Orpington went broody by herself in our coop for about 15-20 days. Yesterday evening I noticed she had left her clutch for over 20 minutes, but that night she still rested on top of them. The next morning I found her ranging and completing oblivious of her brood. I rescued 10 of the eggs into an incubator that morning but during the transition one egg
    cracked :,( and I saw this:
    [​IMG]
    Would this egg have made it and how far along do you think it was? Do you think it's worth it to try and incubate them out? I'm not expecting that great of a hatch, but I would hate to waste any

2. amirfarmer

amirfarmer Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2013
    it was on day 20 or 19...incubate them they all will be fine...Update ur post

3. RuralVirginia

RuralVirginia Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2012
    No eggs hatched today (February 24) :(, but I'm hoping that tomorrow will bring more luck. How long do you think I should give these eggs before I give up. And how can I tell if a chick has died in an egg?

4. amirfarmer

amirfarmer Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2013
    did any one hatch??do u hear any chirping of chicks???if they dont hatch till tommorow than they are dead

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by