1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broody Hen Losing Weight with Green Diarhea

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by wholewheatchicken, Jan 23, 2012.

1. wholewheatchicken

wholewheatchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2011
    Lebanon, Ohio
    I have a silkie hen that went broody on December 14th of 2011. She is the oldest of my flock, although I do not know how old she is. Judging by her skin, she is not young. The rest of my silkies were just becoming mature and the eggs Maggies was on were not fertile. I bought a six-month old silkie in November and she went broody about a week after Maggie. I didn't think her eggs would be fertile either and didn't even bother to look at them. I kept both hens in a locked barn stall together. So on January 10th Sophie hatched out one egg, much to my surprise. I took Maggie out of the stall so she wouldn't hurt anyone, but she listened to the peeping all day long. When I went to move her, she was very angry and refused to get up and was a little on the viscious side that I was trying to move her and then break her of being broody. I even found someone an hour away who had little chicks for sale and drove in a snowstorm to buy them and bring them home for Maggie so she could go ahead and have babies. It did not work. She was intent on killing them. And yes, I put them under her quietly in the dark while she was sleeping. It wasn't her idea of a baby, obvioulsy. So now Sophie is raising those babies, along with our little silkie, and I gave Maggie five new silkie eggs and five serama eggs that were given to me. I am keeping Maggie in our bathroom and I get her up once a day to use the restroom and I bring her soft scrambled eggs and chicken I mash up really fine and corn from a can that I mash up really fine and I put some chick grit on it and she always has available chick starter. I had read a thread here that it was higher in protein and would be better for a broody hen. I can't take her outside right now because it is so cold and she shakes really bad when she comes in so I put a lot of paper down for her to walk around on inside. So now we are on week two. Today is day 12 of sitting. The eggs are scheduled to hatch on February 1st. I have candled and there are five silkies and three seramas.
    My problem is that Maggie has obviously lost weight. Her poop is really runny and green with white mixed in. Her crop is very soft. Today when I put her food in front of her, she keeps turning around until her back is to it.
    I'm fairly new to chickens and any help I could receive on what to feed/not feed Maggie so she can make it through this healthy would be very appreciated. I know everyone says this, but she really is my favorite chicken. I don't think I could have a million more and I would find her wonderful personality.
    Thanks again.

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Just keep making sure she's eating and drinking. The scrambled egg will really help. Broodies do lose a lot of weight while sitting.

3. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    Keep feeding her and you might want to try giving her some Poly-Vi-Sol vitamins in her water or food. She wouldn't need much but since she is sitting and not really doing much the vitamins migh help her a bit. I had a hen act the same way and for just as long but it was in the summer time when it was super hot. Keep an eye on her. I'm sure she will be fine.

4. wholewheatchicken

wholewheatchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2011
    Lebanon, Ohio
    Thank you for your help. I had posted in the wrong place and had asked a mod to move this for me, but didn't know where to find it back!
    I have vitamins in her water and she is back to eating on her own and her poop looked good today. Only seven more days to go. I will be relieved for Maggie when it is over and she finally can revel in her own very, very hard work to have babies.

5. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    I'm not sure I understand. She went broody on December 14? That's well over a month ago. If it was me, I would not have allowed her to set more eggs until she had recovered from her initial broodiness, and gone back to laying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by