broody hen mad!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenannie, Apr 27, 2008.

1. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    My BO hen has been setting for 10 days -- I've been so proud of her -- and tonight when i went to shut the henhouse door, she was like face down backwards, halfway out of her nest box, it was so weird looking. I dragged her away, kicking and pecking, only to discover a RIR had stolen her egg nest and was sitting, crammed in the back, on a BIG pile of eggs (while BO hen must have been gone for just a minute). I dragged out RIR hen, put BO hen back and boy did she climb back in the nest, all huffy and puffy, and spread her big fluffy self all over the nest again. I swear she was counting those eggs one by one and looking madder than heck!

2. debakadeb

debakadeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    SW Indiana
    It will be interesting to see what tomorrow brings. Will the RIR be back on the nest or will the BO maintain control? Keep us posted [​IMG]

3. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I'm cheering for the BO, cause she's so big and fluffy (to keep the eggs warm), and it was one of my scrappy-looking RIRs that has no tail feathers (from previous owner) and could hardly cover the nest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by