Broody Hen missing eggs..Help !

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by monathequeen, Jul 22, 2009.

1. monathequeen

monathequeen Songster

May 13, 2009
    Burlington KS
    Hey everyone, I need some help here please.
    My broody hen has been sitting 23+ hrs a day now for two weeks.She is in a seperate box by herself and has been doing great. There were nine eggs under her which I marked with a pencil. I candeled the eggs last week and there was dark matter in all of them so I assumed they were all fertile. however, the eggs were all different under the light. Some had more pronounced shadows than the other. some were just plain transparent so I pulled them out and discarded them. There were six eggs that definately had a baby chick forming....

This is my problem.. I went on a three day trip out of town ( my neighbor chick-sat for me )and when I came home I went out to check on the birds and found the broody hen had moved her eggs to a different spot in her box. The next day as she went out to eat and bathe, I checked the eggs and there were only two that had pencil marks on them. The other eggs were "new". I know this because I candeled them again and only the two with pencil were ok. the others did not have pencil on them and were transparent under the light. What do you think happen to the other eggs ?
    I know a couple of hens got into her box while she was out taking a break and laid their eggs .
    Did they eat the original eggs?? Do you think a snake got in there and ate the other eggs ?
    I'am confused !!! There are only two eggs now under her and they are going to hatch next week hopefully....If one hatches later than the first arrival, will she still sit on that one or will she let it die ??
    If she dosn't sit on the other one, how can I save it ??? Please Help anyone.
    Thanks.
    Sorry this is so complicated to read....I just don't know what else to do.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2009

2. KinderKorner

KinderKorner Songster

Mar 8, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    I had two broodies sharing a large box and sitting on 28 eggs.

One by one the eggs began disappearing, until there was only around 4 left. I was so puzzled.

They were due to hatch a few days ago, and none did. I was sad.

So I took the birds off the nest, and went to clean them out today.

When I went to pick up the last few eggs they exploded with a pop getting green yuck all over. [​IMG]

It seems that one of the eggs got bacteria in it and exploded, getting goo on the others, and one by one they all exploded until the last four were left. When I rustled them around today they all popped too. It was soooo gross and stinky.

I hope that is not happened with yours. I am so sad. All of them were fertile when I candeled. And now I am left with none.

I feel bad for the broodies they don't understand why their eggs aren't hatching. Now they are sitting on air.

3. goldnchocolate

goldnchocolate Songster

May 9, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Possibly the person who was watching the chickens for you mistakenly thought that they eggs should be collected and took them home? Did they know that the hen was broody?

4. goldnchocolate

goldnchocolate Songster

May 9, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Quote:Can you sneak some chicks, from the store, under them?

5. monathequeen

monathequeen Songster

May 13, 2009
    Burlington KS
    No, My friend new that there was a broody hen and not to disturb her and I told him not to collect eggs in the coop. That way he wouldn't get attacked by the Roo.
    The eggs would be ok untill I got back....in the coop.
    Today, me poor broody hen was out eating real late. about 5:30 pm....very unusual for her. As she was out of the box, I peeked inside and now there is only one egg left......hummmm.
    I guess there is a snake getting to them. I will try to see that the one egg is kept safe until next week when it is due to hatch. If the one egg dosn't make it should I start all over with a new batch ??
    Will she stay broody even though these eggs didn't make it ??

Thanks folks.

6. monathequeen

monathequeen Songster

May 13, 2009
    Burlington KS
    I'am sorry but I don't understand what you mean...

7. Amethyste

Amethyste For Love of Boo...

I think what she meant was if you might be able to get some day old hatchlings, and place those under the broody hen in place of the eggs so she can raise the chicks as her own, even w/out hatching them.

8. kandoos

kandoos Taking a Break

Jul 22, 2009
    ooooh, what a problem
    to avoid this in the coming times ( coming broodies ) you must put a camera inside the nest box so that you know what is happening
    and i do this technique in every broody

9. barred-rocks-rock

barred-rocks-rock Can't stick with a Title

Jul 5, 2009

When your hen leaves her box, quickly drop eggshells in the box and put in some store-bought chicks. She will think they are hers.

10. Amethyste

Amethyste For Love of Boo...

I just waited for nightfall, reached in and took eggs, then slowly replaced with chicks,

She ws so happy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by