Broody Hen - Missing Eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mnwickens, Jul 9, 2011.

1. mnwickens

mnwickens New Egg

Feb 8, 2011
    Three weeks ago I set a broody hen on 12 eggs. She kicked two out and after a few days of them being on the side I removed them. Today is day 21, but it was kind of late in the day so I am thinking tomorrow is the more likely hatch date.

However, she moved around today and I saw that there were only 7-8 eggs there, so 3 or 4 have gone. The coop I am sure is secure so I don't anything has gotten in. I have read about broody hens eating their eggs, but would she have eaten the shell as well?

Thanks for any advice.

2. Tiss

Tiss Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Georgia
    I'm still new to broodies this summer, but yes, I believe she would eat the shell too if she is the culprit.

3. ChickenCrazed

ChickenCrazed Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2009
    Indiana
    Quote:If she ate them I would think you would see egg yolk in the nest or on her face!...Hope you figure out where they are going!

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Sometimes things happen and you never figure out why or what is was. When I've lost entire eggs with no evidence left behind, it has been a snake when I could figure it out. Sometimes you are just not sure though. You'd be surprised at how small a hole they can get in. They can usually wrap around something and squeeze to break the egg inside them, so they can often get back out of that same small hole. I have had a snake eat eggs out from under a broody. Kind of creepy. The snake only ate a few the first time, then returned later for more.

If a hen eats something messy, like an egg or yogurt, she will wipe her face off on the bedding or something. That type of evidence doesn't last long on their face. A hen might eat the whole egg, shell and all, or she might not. A lot of the time, you are never exactly sure what happened.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by