1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

broody hen moved to new nest??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ga*chick*, May 11, 2009.

1. ga*chick*

ga*chick* Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2009
    Ga
    Went out today to check on my one hen that is setting.. She has moved to the middle nest box. I have 3 nest boxes they are appr. 1 1/2 ft off the floor... There were 5 eggs in the left box she was in so I moved those over to her in the middle to see if she would scoot them back under her where they belonged. My other hens have been laying in the right nest box, and haven't really been in the hen house in 3 days..they have been running the yard. Is is normal for a hen to move? and did I do the right thing by putting the eggs back in with her?

On another note..My Roo found the babies yesterday in my basement. (hubby left the door open) He just walked in checked them out and walk back out...wish I would have seen it. I've thought about seeing how my BR hen would do..she is a good mommy. I haven't because I don't want to lose any of my new "babies" They are all doing well, and started to feather out, also started to roost. So funny seeing them up on the bar like big chicks, and then bullying each other off. Goofy Chicks.

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Yes move the eggs with her. Sometimes when they go broody for the first time they need to check out different nests....

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I don't know whether it was the right thing to do, but it's what I would have done. Then I would find something to use for a broody cage and put them all in there with food and water (move them at night.) You just never know how good a broody or mother a particular hen is going to be til you try it. I have an old dog kennel for this.

Good luck!

4. ga*chick*

ga*chick* Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2009
    Ga
    She actually tucked all the eggs back under herself. Don't know how long she was off them. The should be ready to hatch sometime next week. I have an old Rabbit hutch up by the house, but didn't want to move her. Guess I should...the only thing is there is no real "shelter" in there, just the wire floor...I do have an old dog kennel...would that be better?

5. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    I was gone for a week last year and left my broody hen on 13 eggs.(none hatched) when I came home,she had moved herself+eggs across 3 feet of coop terrain,up a ramp, and into a corner of the chicken loft. birds are wierd!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by