broody hen moving off eggs for three hours

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by crazychickenchick, Jul 21, 2008.

1. crazychickenchick

crazychickenchick Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2008
    Australia
    I have a broody that is sitting on 10 eggs. Yesterday morning she jumped off them and had her daily feed and toilet break. When I went back up to the house she was still feeding. I headed down about three hours later and she was back in the nest, but not her own. She had decided to sit on another nest with three fresh eggs in it. I took the eggs out and put her back on her nest of 10. She has stayed on her nest but I was wondering if the three hours off of her eggs will affect them hatching at all?

2. jackiedon

jackiedon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Central Arkansas
    I don't think it will hurt anything. Especially with this heat!!

jackie

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Quote:Problem is, she's in Australia and it's winter there.

If it's cool there... that's probably too long.

4. crazychickenchick

Jul 3, 2008
    Australia
    Yes you're right, it is winter here. It would have been around 16-18 degrees at the time. I think my best option is to candle them in three or four days time then if they are no good i'll stick some fresh ones under her and seperate her from the other layers.

Thanks for your input guys. X

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Nah, 3 hours will at most just slow them down. If early enough in development, can cool to room temp for a full 24 hours, be put back in, and still hatch! Of course, it has an effect in slowing them down, but they'll be fine.

6. crazychickenchick

Jul 3, 2008
    Australia
    Thank you so much, Silkie Chiken! I really hope you are right. I would be so disappointed if I lost them. It was day four when it happened.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by