Broody hen. Nasty butt, dripping.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ladyturtle5366, Apr 21, 2012.

1. ladyturtle5366

ladyturtle5366 New Egg

Apr 18, 2010
    Spanaway
    I'm pretty sure this is the hen that has been broody lately. We're cleaning out the coop so she's free ranging. Acting completely normal, but I noticed she looked "dirty" in the butt area. At first I thought she was injured. (A fox got several of our girls a couple of days ago) But looking at her close up she has a lot of poop stuck in her feathers, her vent (I think that's what it is called) is swollen and constantly dripping clearish to white. Other than acting broody, she is completely normal. Breathing normal, etc. I have a suspicion that she is the hen laying double yolks almost weekly. These eggs are GIANT. Twice as big as my duck eggs. I don't know for sure that she's the one laying the zilla eggs, but I suspect she is. She's always the one sitting on them, but then she sits on all the eggs....
    So what could be wrong with her? Is if from sitting in the nest boxes too much? Since she's there so much, it gets dirty quick.
    Also, I have one other hen with kind of a dirty butt. On closer inspection, her feathers on her back end are just dirty, with some dried poop, so I don't think it's the same issue...but thought it was worth mentioning.....
    Thanks for the help. I've had chickens for several years now and never had ANY issues.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by