Broody hen...need some advice

CityFarmer202

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 10, 2014
Missouri
So, i got 2 little Cochin bantam hens 4 days ago who are about a year and a half old. they lived with 2 roosters at their old home, and now one has laid and egg and is trying to hatch it. is there a chance it will be fertile? Should i leave it and see if it hatches or is their no chance it would be fertile? Right before i got her, she had just hatched 9 chicks, if that makes a difference. Also, how much should a hen sit on the egg? Are they usually on it all the time, or on and off? Thanks

Yes, it is possible that the egg is fertile. I once hatched some eggs from birds after recently getting them that were sired by a different rooster than I had bought (I didn't think about the fact that a hen can be fertile for up to three weeks after being with a rooster). If you want to, you can leave it and let it try hatch.

A broody hen usually sits on her eggs for most of the day, but may take a couple 20-30 minute breaks to eat and drink.

Last edited:
ok, thanks! she has laid another one, and is sitting on them pretty consistently, but i see her scratching around a little bit in the yard every now and them.if they hatch, could i leave her and the babies with the other cochin and my pro red or should she have her own spot for raising them??? Thank so much for answering.

Are you sure she's broody? They usually stop laying when they go broody. A broody hen will sit on her nest all day and all night. As mentioned above, she will get up for maybe 20 - 30 minutes usually once a day to take care of her needs, then right back on the nest she goes. If indeed she is broody and hatches out chicks, you can leave her right in with the other one. She'll be feisty and protect her babies.

Back
Top Bottom