Broody Hen, no eggs

Noelani

Chirping
Jan 28, 2018
Hawaii
I have a very broody Hen, she is laying on my fake egg and won't get off. I don't have a rooster to mate with the hens, but I do have Muscovy ducks, the male is mating often with the females and we get an egg every few days. However, I don't find them right away, Muscovy hens not broody at all. I don't often find their eggs while they are still warm, does that matter? Is there a time or temperature that makes a fertilized egg no longer viable to hatch?

I want to give the broody hen some eggs to hatch.

Also, do broody hens go through phases and will she decide the eggs won't hatch and leave the nest?

I don't often find their eggs while they are still warm, does that matter? Is there a time or temperature that makes a fertilized egg no longer viable to hatch?
Temp shouldn't matter unless it freezes.
Time.... they're best for about 14 days...tho the fresher the better.

Not sure about a chicken hatching duck eggs, it has been done as noted above...
..but don't muscovys take 35 days? Not sure about that either. :D
Someone experienced will be along to help.

Hens hatching ducks works better than ducks hatching chickens.

Doesn't matter if they cool off, just try to get them all collected daily.

I'm sure Muscovies do take longer than chickens, though I don't know how long exactly. I'd hurry up and get them under her so she isn't going for ages.

Someone more knowledgeable please chime in, but I believe a good broody will sit until the eggs hatch even if it is the extended hatch time required for muscovies. Take any eggs that have not been refrigerated and give them a try.

Someone more knowledgeable please chime in, but I believe a good broody will sit until the eggs hatch even if it is the extended hatch time required for muscovies. Take any eggs that have not been refrigerated and give them a try.
They should, I just don't like the idea of prolonging it any longer than necessary, that's already an extra two weeks...

Broodies are mostly unpredictable!
I’d give the Muscovy eggs a try and see what happens. Some broodies will sit forever, but I’ve also had them give up at day 19 on chicken eggs. You just really never know.

If you actually want the ducklings to hatch, be prepared with a backup plan, like incubating if she leaves them, or decide if you’d just toss them. If it’s a breed that is prone to broodieness (silkie, cochin, etc) I would wager over 70% that she would stick with them till hatch.

Back
Top Bottom