Broody Hen....no fertile eggs. What to do?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by carbon county chicks, Jun 30, 2011.

1. carbon county chicks

carbon county chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    So I have my first broody hen. She's been broody at least 4 days now (we have 9 hens in there and I can't watch them all the time) maybe more.... Our rooster is young and we're not sure if he's mature. So we haven't had them together. So none of the eggs are fertile. Is there any change that we can put him in, he can do his thing, get the fertile eggs and put them under her before she gives up on being broody? That is assuming the rooster is old enough to produce fertile eggs. I read 10 days from the time we put him in till the first fertile egg? Will she go broody again this year? Is a buff orpington a breed that is more likely to go broody? We've had RIR's, barred rocks, americanas and 1 bantum buff orp that have never gone broody before. Any help would be appreciated!!

2. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    How old is your roo? Also its not 10 days if he mate with a hen on day 1 day 3 her egg will be fertile if hes getting the job done right. She will set for a while so i wouldn't be really worried about the time frame. BO's are among the type that like to brood so she most likely will. You can also put a few day old chicks under her and some hens will adopt them some hens wont if you are going to go this method do it at night.

3. carbon county chicks

carbon county chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Both these hens and the rooster were hatched December 11th. Really 3 days later we will have fertile eggs! That's so exciting!

4. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    Depends on the roo if hes mature enough but i would say he is. Yes if he mates with one of the girls she will be fertile within 2 days. Depending on the time of day if its early in the morning and he gets the deed done she will be fertile the next day. It depends if the egg has started traveling yet. If it has then it wont get fertilized but if it hasn't it will. An egg take about 25 hours from time it detaches till the time its laid. If you do put him in there with them i would keep and eye on them at first. It could take a few days for him to get settles with the girls and them get settled with him before they start mating. And remember alot of young roos when they are learning seem really forceful with the girls but its not all on him, the pullets are learning also. keep an eye on them for the next few days after you put him in with them too to make sure he is breeding with them.

5. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    And as far as BO's being broody, oh yes they are. Mine have all been broody twice this year so far. Thank goodness I don't have that many of laying age... yet.

6. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Hi Carbon,

It is possible to buy fertile eggs.... but you run the risk of her not lasting the 21 days right? I guess one always runs that risk.

Also some people buy day-old chicks and then place them under the hen at the appropriate time, and she thinks that they are hers. The advantage is she would raise them instead of you.

Good luck with your adventure. Tell us how it turns out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by