Broody hen no longer sitting on eggs, still acting broody

Kikiriku

In the Brooder
5 Years
Dec 28, 2014
One of the somewhat 'feral' hens that roams about the property and neighborhood recently started trying to hatch eggs in a dangerous area. So I went out under the cover of night to move her and her clutch to a makeshift nest box near my porch. Unfortunately she abandoned them at first light. I was hoping she would return to sit but she never did. The eggs are hopeless, but the hen is still acting broody and maintaining a warm belly. I'm worried that continuing to be in that state will put extra stress on her body. Will she be alright? Is there anything I can /should do? Thanks in advance for your help.

Is she still trying to brood where her old nest was? (Not sure what you mean by she is keeping a warm belly?) You might want to destroy her old nest or make the site as unattractive as you can so she gives up asap. Do you or does somebody else feed her? Usually broodies lose condition because they don't eat/drink as well as they should, so feeding her extra would probably help, especially if the weather is cold.

She's given up on actually brooding/sitting anywhere. But she's clucking and acting standoffish as though she were brooding, but taking water break, if that make sense. She's also eating well, her behavior's just off. What I meant by warm belly is that when holding her she feels warm, as though she were brooding. As for the cold, that's no worry, we're in the tropics.

Back
Top Bottom