Broody Hen - no Rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 4chicks, May 7, 2009.

1. 4chicks

4chicks New Egg

Aug 24, 2008
    I have 4 hens that are all just over a year old. The Buff Orpington has gone Broody- she is all puffed up and won't leave the nesting box. I am worried she isn't eating or drinking. A friend of mine offered some fertilized eggs for her to sit on- should I use these or is there an easier way to get her out of the nesting box?
    Thanks

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Use the eggs so she will get over it - you may have to put the food and water right in front of her. I had to do that because my broody would not leave the nest for anything.

3. greginshasta

greginshasta Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2007
    Mount Shasta, CA
    When mine got broody last year around the same age, their combs lost their color and became gray, they were in a snot mood for weeks, and their feathers were a mess by the time it was all done. They looked simply haggard. But the Maran, for example, eventually got her color back, grew new feathers and looked better than ever once it was done.

4. dftkarin

dftkarin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    I think I'm in the same predicament. I have 4 hens and no rooster and my australorp won't leave a nesting box even though I have collected eggs from under her so she's not sitting on an eggs (and I think maybe she hasn't layed any for the past few days either, althuogh I'm never sure who has layed which eggs). I don't have any easy access to fertile eggs and I also don't really want/can't have more chickens (although I would love to add a small silkie, frizzle or polish bantam to my flock - as a real pet for my son). Is there somewhere where I could order just 3 fertile silkie eggs? I tried looking on the buying boards and it was overwhelming to me.

5. Miss Kitty

Miss Kitty Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2009
    Quote:Are they free range hens? If so you can break the broody behavior by placing the one in question in a cage, ie: dog wire cage with no bedding and make her sit on the wire do this for afew hours then pick her up take her out away from the cage to get her to "get over it"...she will probably head back to the cage if so you can let her back in it she will cry about not having a nest. After afew days of doing this she will change. Her belly will cool. If you have some bricks place them under the wire cage so the air will flow under her. At night let her do her regular routine and sleep where she normally sleeps. But in the morning back to the wire cage. Take her out after 3 or 4 hours and physically put her somewhere in the yard away from the cage. This worked on my cochin hen it took only 3 days and she was over the broody behavior. Hope it works for you!!

6. OrpingtonManor

OrpingtonManor Building the Castle

Nov 15, 2008
    Martinez, CA
    if you want more chicks, go for the eggs. [​IMG]
    However, if you just want it to stop, go for the broody jail. It might take up to a week of solitary confinement in a cold tank. My broody took 3 days once I jailed her. Here is a pic of my setup. I used a wire rabbit cage in the coop.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by