Broody hen not accepting added chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by heichickens, Nov 3, 2016.

1. heichickens

heichickens New Egg

Nov 3, 2016
    I bought 7 fertilized eggs for my broody hen & only 2 hatched. We thought why not go to the feed store & buy some chicks (that happened to be the same age) & broody will raise them. NOPE! I was shocked when she went after them & started to peck at them very aggressively. I never thought the broody would attack the chicks. I now have them separated: broody & her 2 chicks in our chick area & the extras in a small cat carrier at night & in a make shift small pen during the day.
    I have introduced the 2 chicks to the extras & they are fine except they peep peep peep because they're away from mom. Day 3 and the broody hen is still pecking at the extras (thru chicken wire).
    My questions are 1. should I continue to have small introductions with all (keeping them separated) and hope the broody will eventually accept the extras? 2. should I remove the 2 chicks, add them to the extras & raise them with out the broody? 3. If I do #2 how long will it take the broody to move on?

I don't have tons of room (or time) to keep them separated. Anyone have this experience?
    Thank you

2. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Chicken Obsessed

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    It is very doubtful the hen will accept the extras at this point. I would leave the two with the mom, and raise the extras separately. Don't do #2. It is very stressful and hard on both mom and chicks. How old are the chicks?

Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
  3. TheKindaFarmGal

May 4, 2016
    And welcome to BYC!

4. Sandy001

Sandy001 Just Hatched

Oct 15, 2016
    MIddle TN
    Adoptions are best done at night, sneaking a chick or two under and being as quite about it as possible, in fact don't even turn a light on or say a word.

5. heichickens

heichickens New Egg

Nov 3, 2016
    all chicks are 8-10 days old.
    Thank you for your response

6. TheKindaFarmGal

May 4, 2016
    Too old for the mom to take them. When adding chicks to a broody hen, they must be one or two days old max, and she should still be in the nest with no or few young chicks. Hope all turns out well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by