1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broody Hen Not Being Eccepted Back!?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by pinetreepullet, Jan 29, 2012.

1. pinetreepullet

pinetreepullet New Egg

Dec 23, 2011
    Hi all,

I have two hens who are at this moment sleeping in their nests with 1-5 eggs under her. (We have only 7 hens, so I'm guessing one has more than the other) Today both are showing sure signs of broodiness, though one a bit less than the other.I have been reading up on caring for broody hens and what the first (of many!) signs are. So my question is this: If I put my hen(s) in a different spot totally away from the rest of the flock for 21 days or more, when she is ready to go back, will the rest still accept her? I understand they won't treat like they did before she left, but will it take longer than introducing a complete stranger? If it helps any, my small flock of 7 hens and one rooster were from the same clutch of eggs, so they grew up together right from hatching.

Thanks so much for ANY advice given!!

~PTP [​IMG]

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Yes, it's definitely possible that she'll have to "fight" her way back in after being gone a month. I would try to find a way (dog crates in the coop maybe, or some just leave them in the coop and monitor once the chicks have hatched) to not isolate them. Another thing you could try if you have to move them is to move the pair in together, so at least when they're brought back to the flock they'd have a "buddy."

3. pinetreepullet

pinetreepullet New Egg

Dec 23, 2011
    Thank you so much!

After I submitted my last post, I came up with two questions. One, which you already answered, is it OK to move two hens away together, or will they still be just as territorial? And two, Even after I take the egg(s) away from her, (It's January, let's face it. That's not a good month to be having little puff balls running around however cute it always is. [​IMG]) she still insists on staying in her little nest all the time. Is it just because she found that she likes being away from everyone, and it's warmer up there, or does she just wish she had eggs to look after, so she's convinced herself the eggs are still there?

Thanks again!

~PTP[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  4. Breshcandra

Breshcandra Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Granite Falls, WA
    If she is truly broody sometimes you can't break them.. I had 2 go broody at almost the same time in December. I let them sit on eggs so That I would not have the month long battle that I have read that some people do. Because it was winter only one chick hatched so the first one that went broody got off the nest and the second one stayed. I let her sit on eggs and only one hatched from that. And it did fine with the snow storm we just got here. So its up to you. I did not separate them and the chick care is shared by the other hens.

5. pinetreepullet

pinetreepullet New Egg

Dec 23, 2011
    Thanks for the advice everyone! I really appreciate it! All your answers helped clear up all my questions!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by