Broody hen not eating / Pink comb and Waddles

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by gibbychicks, Apr 15, 2008.

1. gibbychicks

gibbychicks Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I need help! My broody hen has been sitting on eggs for 8 days. I have her in our back porch in our old broody pen we had for the chicks last year.

She was broody for about a week before that, in our coop. I planned on keeping her in the coop, but someone must have jumped in her nest when she got out to eat, because two of her five eggs broke. I decided to start over in our back porch. I kept wooden eggs under her until we got her moved.
    My problem is that in the 8 days that she has been on the eggs in the porch, I think she has only been out maybe 4 times.(at least that's how many times she's gone poop.) Yesterday I realized that she hadn't pooped for two days(so I'm guessing she also hadn't had anything to eat or drink)
    Last night I decided to try to give her some water with a syringe. I couldn't believe she actually drank from it! [​IMG] I also gave her a little cup of food right next to her. She did eat and drank, but as of this morning she still hasn't been out to poop. ( a funny thing though, I couldn't find the cup this morning, then I realized she tucked it under her!)[​IMG]

Is this normal behavior for her not to get off?? Also her comb and waddles are pink, not the usual red, is this ok? I am relitivly new to chickens, we got chicks from the feedmill this time last year.

Can anybody help?

Donna

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Very normal behavior....My broodies are kept in cages when they want to set on eggs and there is room for their food and water dishes inside the cage...Trust me she will poo when she needs to, they don't go very often when they are broody but when they do...look out [​IMG]

And I'm dealing with 3 broodies at the moment!

Edited to add: it's normal for her comb and wattles to be pale...she isn't laying eggs...

Last edited: Apr 15, 2008
  3. gibbychicks

Jul 6, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks for the help, Kiwi, my hen, does have food and water in the brooder pen as well.
    I read last night about broody hens that starve to death rather than eat , I got nervous and decided to encourage her to eat!

Do you know if her pink comb and waddles are normal??

4. Tuffoldhen

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    It's very normal for a broodies comb and wattles to be pale...just means she is not into egg production at the moment...

I give my broodies a can of corn kernels or other treats like tuna or canned cat food and veggies sometimes so I know they are getting something else in them besides their food and water...

5. gibbychicks

Jul 6, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    O.k. now I have another question.... I just went out to check on her and It smells like poop but I don't see anything. Is it ok for me to try to move her to check to see if she went in her nest? Also if she did is it ok for me to clean the eggs or what should I do?

6. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    I am sure you can check to see but I would not clean the eggs o no do not do that. Maybe you can just wait a while the broody poops are nasty. How much does your hen weigh? I had a bantam leghorn go broody and hatched eggs but towards the end I got pretty worried because her face was getting shrunken in, but that is because she was so small to begin with she didnt have a lot of reserves to draw from in her body. Took her a couple months to fatten up. Ah motherhood is a hard job. Next time I will give treats (thanks TOH). Probably cook her some eggs. and tuna.
    Chickens version of fish and chips!!!! o I better shut Im feelin punchy today.....lack of sleep [​IMG]

7. Tuffoldhen

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Is her nest not big enough that she had get up and go eliminate herself away from her eggs?....You can check but I would be hesitant be picking her up too much she might decide to get up and not go back to setting...you can wipe them off if their dirty but no water or damp cloth just a dry swipe is what I would try....

Scrambled eggs or hard boiled, she should love those too as Tiki says...

8. gibbychicks

Jul 6, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I just gave Kiwi some canned corn, She loved it!!![​IMG] I gave he a couple of kernnels and then put it on the other side of the pen. She got up and I was able to tell that she did poo, but not on the eggs!! I guess I'll just put up with the smell!![​IMG]

Her nest is in a card board box a little bigger than her nest box in her coop. Her brooder pen she is in is about three feet by four feet. We made it out of plywood and chicken wire. It has a lid on it so i don't have to worry about anything getting her or the eggs.

I don't know how much she weighs, she's an Australorp. I think if I give her treats she will eat more, thanks for the tip!

Donna

Pa.

9. Tuffoldhen

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Your welcome and Broody Poo is HORRIBLE.. lol [​IMG]

I like giving the canned corn, lots of liquid so I know she is getting something in her...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by