Broody hen, not eating

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Autumnchicken, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Autumnchicken

Autumnchicken Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2010
    Woodstock, IL
    So this is my first broody hen and she's only eating about a tablespoon of food a day and she's only pooped once this week. She's isolated, so i can see how much she's eating, drinking and pooping. Is there anything I should do to encourage her to eat, are there any treats that she may eat that are good for her.

2. wekiva bird

wekiva bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2010
    South Carolina
    Cook some eggs for her. It might be to cold to get off the eggs she saying. Mine has gone broody in the summer time so it is warm. I still cooked for her and pick her up off the eggs take her out to poop right back in to her eggs.
    Some others will say leave her alone she knows what is best.

3. The Red Rooster

The Red Rooster Poultry Observer

In my experience, broodies don't tend to eat very much at all. Is she hatching any eggs? If so, she will get her appetite back once they hatch.

Good luck!

~AnnElise

4. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Then too remember that just sitting all day doesn't take the huge amount of energy scratching around and make an egg every day does. That said giving her high energy foods couldn't hurt.

5. Autumnchicken

Autumnchicken Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2010
    Woodstock, IL
    Thanks for the info. I made her some oatmeal tonight and she gobbled it right down.

6. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    When brooding, most of my hens come off nest once a day to eat, drink and take a poo. When feeding, they usually fill crop and get right back on nest. If eating to little, weight will drop and if weight drops too much, then broody cycle will be interupted.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by