Broody hen not giving up.

claud

Songster
12 Years
Dec 12, 2007
PA
I've never had a broody hen until this year. She is not even a year old and she has been sitting on an empty nest(I keep pulling the eggs) well past the 21 days. How long will she keep this up? I figured she'd quit if it went past 21 days. Should I intervene somehow or let her "set it out"?

shes determined... she could start loosing alot of weight and start getting sick....... i wouldve given her a egg to hatch.. i mean, shes spent the twenty one days anywase. and not laying for u anywase... just give her a egg... do u have any fertile?

I've been trying to break my two girls for a whole month. Try locking them out of the nest, hanging them in a wire cage (hang the cage, not them) so that cool air gets under them, or just give up and slip a chick under her.

Hi - try shutting her out of the nest area so she will think about eating and drinking. One of my hens has been doing the same for about three weeks - has lost weight and just within the last two days or so she is settling down - not so frantic and single-minded. We put out scratch grains and veggie treats to get her interested in eating again.

I've been throughing Penny out everyday this past week and she's REALLY REALLY REALLY determined, but I'm more stubborn this time than she is...
I took the cookie cooling racks and put them where she lays.

I didn't let her have any eggs because I already have 20 4 week olds in the brooder who are going outside hopefully this weekend. I also didn't think she'd sit the whole time since she isn't even a year old. I figured next spring I'd let her hatch some eggs. I feel bad for her but I don't want anymore chicks. Of course, TSC is having chick days this week - no - stop! Do NOT put these things in my head!
Hmmm, I hate the thought of pulling her off the nest(I didn't know chickens growled - ha,ha).
Maybe I'll try the cookie cooling rack idea.
Thanks.

My 24-week old White Leghorn, Zoey, has gone broody this week. She started it about four days ago. She hasn't laid an egg since she started setting.

She was setting on the golf balls I put in the nestboxes to train the hens to lay there. I took the golfballs away, but she's still sitting in the box.

Poor sweet little girl. I wish I had room for more birds, or I'd get her some eggs to hatch out.

I consider Zoey my blonde.

Try getting a few chicks from tsc and put them under her. She will think that she hatched her clutch and will get busy raising the few that you put under her. Do it at night while she is sleeping.

Ironically, I went out today and she was off the nest. She was setting almost 4 weeks. So next year I'll know I can use her as a broody. Hopefully she'll be a good mom.
Thanks for the advice -----and stop trying to get me to get more chicks! Sheesh...you guys are such enablers!

Back
Top Bottom