Broody hen not laying.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Johnn, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Johnn

Johnn Overrun With Chickens

Sep 5, 2011
    I had a broody hen she was on broody for about 2 mothns because she failed so i put anpother clutch of eggs under her and she failed again, then her and my other broody hen went off broody the other hen is laying every day now but since she has been off broody she layed one egg with loads of blood spots in and she has never layed since?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    2 months of broodiness takes a lot out of a hen. Brooding is a debilitating process, and she may not resume laying until after she has gone through a molt.

3. justin24

justin24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    memphis tn
    let her try agin maybe the eggs aren't fertile or to old yu can buy some day old chicks to slip under her

4. extraordinaryfowl

extraordinaryfowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    I had a hen who was broody for half the year and kept failing, then she stopped for a few monthes, went broody this spring and hatched some chicks, and is now molting normally again. I hope she starts laying soon too.

5. Johnn

Johnn Overrun With Chickens

Sep 5, 2011
    The light susex has molted and has all her feathers back and i first used my own but my roosters old so a wasnt supprised so then i baught more eggs online, i wish you could get day old chicks delivered it would be alod easier...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by