Broody hen obsessed over another hen's chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mandiceb, Aug 16, 2011.

1. mandiceb

mandiceb New Egg

Aug 16, 2011
    Hi everybody. I have two hens: a buff orpington and a black australorp who have been setting for about 3 weeks. They both had quite a clutch beneath them - about 10-13 each. The buff just hatched 3 eggs this morning and the black has gone coo coo for the babies. They had a rather low key fight this morning and the only thing I could think to do (newbie) was take one of the chicks and put it under her on her own eggs. It worked for the better part of the day, but this afternoon I returned to find the black under the buff with the babies!! She is now sitting in front of the buff's nest with her head facing the babies. Poor thing - baby lust! They aren't fighting anymore, but the problem is that she left her clutch. They were cool to my touch this afternoon, but candling shows something there. Again, the only thing I could think was to push some under her where she sat next to the other nest and to put some under the buff. (She still has several that may hatch.) I will apologize for the naivety! [​IMG];-) But though I have raised chickens for eggs for several years, this is my first hatching 'a natural'! I am worried for the sweet black's psyche and for the three (so far) little babies. I built my chicken house with the nesting boxes across the back and a 'great room' with roost and an attached pen for leg room. Unfortunately, I didn't think ahead to hatching chicks so I will have to figure out a way to separate the new families. Right? I am leaving the pen open and the other chickens (7 buffs and 2 blacks and the ornery rooster) are out of the pen most of the day. The hens do go back in to lay eggs in the nesting boxes, but they haven't seemed to bother the new mother at all today. All sage advice is welcome!![​IMG]

2. madgabmomma

madgabmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    SE Texas
    I've never been in you're situation, but I have had a broody hen and new chicks. I'm sure someone else can give you better advice but my opinion would be to separate the hens. If you could somehow separate them and put the correct babies with the correct momma maybe the other hen will start sitting on her clutch again?

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I would be tempted to move the buff orp and chicks away until the other hen hatches her eggs. Far enough away that the hen can not hear them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by