broody hen of two days took over the mothering of 10 four week old store bought chicks

sandy sea

Crowing
16 Years
Mar 19, 2008
Rogersville MO
Very weird, I bought 10 chicks around 4-5 weeks ago. The weather has been warm so I put them in the chicken coop in a divided off area 4 days ago. At that time I notice a hen what had just gone broody, I took the 2 eggs that were under her away and put her outside the run for a few hours. Did not want her to sit on the eggs, no rooster. When I locked the chickens up for the night, she was sitting next to the screened off area of the 4 week old chicks and making the mommy chicken noise. In the morning she was still sitting next to the screen talking to the chicks. I opened the door of the chicks area and she ran right in and took over. Last night it was soo cute the chicks were all sitting on and around her. Isn't is weird for a hen to adopt 10 4-5 week old chicks?

I have to say that I never heard of this happening, now you have a surrogate mother that will take care of those chicks and you won't have to deal with breaking a broody hen. How lucky can you get!!!:thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom