Broody hen off eggs

amymarie1221

Chirping
6 Years
Aug 3, 2016
Woodland, WA
So a hen hatched 9 chicks under the shed without me knowing. I candled the rest of the eggs and put three I thought might still be viable back under her. This morning she was off the nest with her 9 chicks. Surprisingly one egg piped! Then another one unzipped. I was at work so I told my husband to wet the membrane but he ended up helping them hatch. One is waddling around but the other one still has the cord attached to her and is standing but not really walking. Well the third one piped! I put some coconut oil on it and put a flat panel coop heater in there. Question is what do I do with that cord still attached to baby? And do I help the piped one hatch since mom isn’t sitting on it? I’m worried about it not having humidity. Or do I try to keep them warm and put mom and babies back with them tonight?

Attachments

• 24191064-9D94-4C6F-9485-510045655E73.png
    24191064-9D94-4C6F-9485-510045655E73.png
    2 MB · Views: 3
  • 238D67DC-34E6-4F32-BA95-6783BA28C0A4.png
    238D67DC-34E6-4F32-BA95-6783BA28C0A4.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 3
Don’t try to remove the cord. You could injure the chick if you do so! Depending on her personality she may not accept the “new” chicks. I would put the new ones with her once she settles in for the night. Hopefully she’ll take the newbies too, but if you notice her denying them (check first thing in the morning so she doesn’t hurt them), you might have to stick them in a brooder. Congratulations! ❤️

Don’t try to remove the cord. You could injure the chick if you do so! Depending on her personality she may not accept the “new” chicks. I would put the new ones with her once she settles in for the night. Hopefully she’ll take the newbies too, but if you notice her denying them (check first thing in the morning so she doesn’t hurt them), you might have to stick them in a brooder. Congratulations! ❤️
Ok. Should I help the piping chick hatch since there’s no humidity or just leave it and see how it does? I’m scared the membrane will shrink wrap it.

Back
Top Bottom