Broody hen on 3 eggs........ when should I candle them...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by standardbanty, Jan 11, 2009.

1. standardbanty

standardbanty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    Maryland
    I a have a hen on 3 eggs ....they are 7days ...6 days ...and 5 days old....(the eggs) When should i candle and what should i look for?

Thanks

2. luvmychix

luvmychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Quote:I may be wrong, but I don't think you do....... [​IMG]

3. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    you would probably candle them on day 4 or 5 and you'll see little blood vessels and candle again on day 8 or 9 and you'll see the embryo's big and with a lot of blood vessels and the embryo's swimming

you don't have to candle them if you want to

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2009
  4. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    why just 3 eggs ? .... Make her a real mommy next time and give her at least 6 eggs just incase some dont hatch

5. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    I usally do it on day 12ish just to make sure there are no bad eggs under then hen (exploding eggs are very messy,stinky and can cause the other eggs to have a bad hatch) Some don't candle at all but like I said I rather remove any bad/dud eggs !!!

At day 12ish you should be able to see a god size "blob" in the egg, any egg clear by day 12 is bad/dud.

I always candle in the coop, I try to do it while the broody is off the nest eating,drinking !!

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Honestly, if she is broody and setting her clutch just leave her alone and check back in 21 days. Offer her a little extra food toward the end to keep her energy up. Canned whole kernel corn and ACV in her water kept close by her would be a blessing.

If they are bad eggs she will know and push them out of the nest. Chickens know far more than we do. If you handle them too early as some suggested at 4 - 5 days you can be fooled into thinking they aren't devloping. You really shouldn't candle before 7 - 10 days. When you do candle be super careful. Moving them around too much can shake up the embryo and cause it to die.

If you mess with her and the eggs too much she may break her brood and get off the eggs and not return.

7. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    I agree with Miss P. I've set two clutches under broodies and I don't candle. Both times 100% hatch.

Good Luck [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by