Broody hen on 3 eggs........

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by standardbanty, Jan 6, 2009.

1. standardbanty

standardbanty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    Maryland
    Hi,

I have a light brahma hen on 3 eggs right now. My first question is what can i use to write on the egg so i can know when each egg was layed? And how many eggs do you think she hatch? ( i dont want too many eggs under her)

Thanks

2. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    I use a pencil and make a star or circle, if you do it dark enough it should stay !! Some use markers but Ive heard they arent good for the egg before, I guess to each there own !!

I would say she could handle 10-15 eggs depending on her size, just make sure she can cover all you put under her !!

How long has she been sitting on the 3 eggs ??

3. standardbanty

Nov 8, 2008
    Maryland
    She has layed 3 eggs in the last 3 days

4. swtangel321

Jul 11, 2008
    If she is still laying then she's not broody, a broody hen will stop laying and then sit on eggs. Is she sitting on the nest 24/7 without getting off ??

5. standardbanty

Nov 8, 2008
    Maryland
    She just went broody.. I know she is ...she is lighter and is losing feathers on her belly... Plus she on the eggs almost all the time... This is the first day she hasnt laid..

6. swtangel321

Jul 11, 2008
    Well, make sure she is truly broody before giving her to many eggs, make sure you add all the eggs on the SAME day and not on different days, If you do it on different days she might not stay on the nest long enough when the chicks start hatching !!

7. L*A*G*

L*A*G* Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    planet chicken
    did u know if she was broody bfore she was always on the eggs? if so.........well I'm just looking for ways to know if my hen is broody.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by