1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

broody hen ?/ on a dummy egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kimt816, May 13, 2009.

1. kimt816

kimt816 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2008
    kernersville, nc
    hi guys, i need some help one of my barred rock girls has went broody but the problem lies in that she is broody over a dummy ceramic egg i baited the nest with, any ideas or suggestions i checked beneath her for the last two days and just the fake egg. i did make her get out of box the other day boy she was ticked. but got right back in should i remove all fake eggs from next boxes? or plant some eggs in the box and see if they hatch thanks

2. TM Chickens

TM Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Alabama
    If you don't want the hen to be broody put her in a cage with food and water for a few days. Always worked for us. [​IMG]

3. Mrs.Puff

Mrs.Puff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    She has no idea that the dummy egg won't hatch. Also, when they go broody, they do not lay any more eggs til 5 weeks after their eggs hatch. So that's at least 8 weeks that you won't get eggs from her. There's no point in leaving her in there on fake egg. Give her some eggs to hatch. Also, you will need to move her out of the nest box to her own private quarters. You might want to go to the library or farm store and get ahold of a book on chickens, so you can read all about the broody process.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by