Broody hen on eggs - but nest box is 3 feet off the ground

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CarolJ, Apr 2, 2012.

1. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    My black araucana has gone broody for the second time. She is in a nest box that is several feet off the floor. The first time she went broody, I waited a couple days and then moved her and the eggs to a nest box on the floor of the coop - with a larger wire cage around the area so the other chickens wouldn't bother her. I didn't leave her in the nest box because I was afraid that when the chicks hatched, they'd fall out of the nest and get stranded with no way to get back up to the nest. The hen repaid me by abandoning those first eggs. Now a couple months have gone by, and the hen had gone broody again. She's been on four eggs for over a week now. So far, I've left her alone. So she's still in the nest box that's three feet off the floor.

Should I leave her where she is - and just hope that when the chicks hatch, they'll be okay - or should I try moving her again? Any suggestions? I don't want to disturb her and get her out of her broodiness again - but I don't want to lose chicks because of falls either.

2. bwalden

bwalden Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Jan 16, 2012
    Arkansas
    I have had hens go broody in next boxes higher than that. Just watch for when thay hatch. If you know about when thay should hatch then you can wait until they do and then move her and the chicks to another area or cage if you like. Years ago I had a hen on a dozen eggs up about 5 feet high. She hatched them out, but i didnt move them. A few days later she and her little flock of chicks where running around the chicken yard with all the other chickens. Guess they took the leap out of the nest box. Needless to say I was very shocked they did this. I have always watched a little closer ever since to make sure I give them a little help down.

3. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    Wow! Thanks for the response. I had searched for other threads but couldn't find any. I'm sure there are plenty of them, but I kept getting weird search results. I will leave her alone, then. I know when the eggs should hatch. So I'll keep a watch out for her and the chicks. I'm so excited - this is my first broody hen experience that has gone past the first couple days.

I packed up my incubators this morning - and decided that I'm out of the incubating business till next year at least. So it'll be either broody hens - or no chicks till then. :)

4. wood&feathers

wood&feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    E. KY
    My cuckoo marans broody has a solution to new chick transport. She plucks two brood patches - the usual one for eggs, then a bit of her saddle area for a "saddle". I mistakenly thought a high sided brood box would allow her out but not the chicks. She just gave them a ride!

They feather out so quickly. Broody hen babies seem to fly better and earlier.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by