Broody hen or more serious?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by missvamperica, May 12, 2016.

1. missvamperica

missvamperica New Egg

Oct 15, 2015
    Visalia, CA
    Hi all. I'm fairly new to chicken raising. I've had 2 hens, 1 English Orpington and 1 Americauna for about a year now. They are both consistent layers and all around friendly, easy going girls. However, my orpington has been in her nesting box for the last 12 hours and I'm worried. She lets me rub on her without complaint but she's not eating or drinking and it's supposed to get up to 95 degrees today. Can someone with more experience tell me if I should be worried? Or what I should look for? These are truly pets and very much loved.

2. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Some broody hens will not do much.And usually do not get up very much.Some will puff up some will lay flat trying to cover all their eggs.

You might wanna feel for a stuck egg or firce her outside and see what happens.

3. missvamperica

missvamperica New Egg

Oct 15, 2015
    Visalia, CA
    I pulled her out of the nesting box without too much complaint. I don't feel any abnormal lumps or bulges. She's scratching around but is panting constantly [​IMG] Ideas?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by