Broody Hen Or Not?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by JonsFrickenChic, Jul 2, 2016.

Is my hen....

Poll closed Jul 20, 2016.
  1. ....Broody

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. ....Not Broody

3 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. JonsFrickenChic

JonsFrickenChic New Egg

Jul 2, 2016
    So a few of my hens will go lay on the eggs and i want them to be raised by a broody hen and i think a few of mine are , but the hens will lay on the eggs for like a half an hour and then won't go back to them for hours and the eggs end up cold... i'm really confused on this and if they are even broody or not. I'm new to all of this and if you could i need some advice on what i should do and how i can fix this problem.

2. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    [​IMG]

Broody hens are hard to miss if one knows what to look for. These two videos should help to figure out if your hen is broody or not. The first one is a clip of the "broody hen growl". The second one is a clip explaining how to know if you have a broody hen.

3. mpmb1227

mpmb1227 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2015
    Stanwood, Washington
    Broody hens do behave that way in the beginning stages, typically. For up to two weeks they will add to their clutch, sit for a while then go about their day, until they feel they have the proper amount of eggs, at that time they will likely sit full time. If you can grab them, check under their breast and between the legs for bald spots; they remove the feathers here for better transfer of body heat during incubation. When you do catch them on the nest, they will let out a screech of sorts or make a low rumbly growl, and may attempt to peck at you if you get near. A lot of the time they will do this during the brief setting periods in the weeks leading up to the start of full-fledged broodiness.

4. mpmb1227

mpmb1227 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2015
    Stanwood, Washington
    Keep in mind though, a hen will rest for a bit after laying an egg, most of the time. It is an arduous process that takes a lot of energy on their part. Mine always take a breather for about 15-20 minutes after the main event!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by