broody hen or not??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by peepmommy, Apr 4, 2012.

1. peepmommy

peepmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    So I found one of my RIR's sitting this afternoon. Gave her an egg and she promptly put it under her. She's acting a little broody, but later I find her out in the field so I collected the egg. She has been out for hours now. She wasn't really yelling at me, but wasn't too pleasant either. Is it possible that she is going broody soon? Or not? I Just may want a broody soooo badly, I am imagining it!! [​IMG]

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Oh, I know how you feel! Last year, I wanted a broody so baldy, and I had one, but she never sat on the same eggs. She would leave every day to eat, drink and potty, but when she came back, she would sit on a different nest.

I've had some hens seem to be broody, but then they weren't. I've had several broody hens this spring though. Our weather has been unseasonably warm here in Ohio, and I've actually had SIX BROODY HENS, of all different breeds, which amazed me!

When it's a true broody, you'll know it, because every time you go out to collect eggs, even at different times of the day, she'll be setting. This will go on and after a few days, then you'll be sure.

Good luck and I hope you get one!

Sharon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by