Broody hen or sick? HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kissmeUfool, Jul 31, 2014.

1. kissmeUfool

kissmeUfool In the Brooder

Aug 1, 2013
    I have a 1 yr old ISA brown and for the last few days she has laid around a lot in the run. At first I thought it was the heat and I knew she was eating and drinking, but hadn't been free ranging with the other hens which is very unusual for her. Well this morning I went out to check on her and gather eggs and she is alone in the dog house I have set up for them and she is sitting on a pile of 4-5 eggs and wont get off them and pecked at me when I tried to get them, again very unlike her. She is always the fist one to come to me for snacks and attention. Is she broody? I have never had a hen go broody so I have no clue what the signs are. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons

Apr 23, 2014
    Colorado
    My Coop
    Has she plucked feathers from her breast?

3. kissmeUfool

Aug 1, 2013
    Not that I have noticed, but she is missing a lot of feathers due to my rooster. The other thing I didn't mention is all the eggs she is laying on are from my EE hens. All the eggs she is sitting are blue, not one brown one. Is that normal? DO they try to hatch other hens eggs?

4. Mountain Peeps

Apr 23, 2014
    Colorado
    My Coop
    She is probably broody. She is sitting on other hens' eggs and acting different. Is she acting grumpy and upset? If so, she is broody.

5. kissmeUfool

Aug 1, 2013
    She got up off of the eggs and is laying alone in the back of the coop. I have been going out to check on her and trying to get her to drink and she wont. SHe lets me hold her and pet her, but she wont eat, drink, or get up and move around. These symptoms started this morning or sometime last night.

6. BigECarter

BigECarter Songster

May 8, 2012
    Mississippi Gulf Coast
    Maybe she is egg bound. She sounds in bad shape - do you have a poultry vet?

I've never dealt with an egg bound hen so don't want to give bad advice - you should be able to search on this board, or go to FAQ at www.hencam.com, or go to the chicken chick's page (google it).

I hope she gets better soon. Not drinking is a bad sign.

E

7. Mountain Peeps

Apr 23, 2014
    Colorado
    My Coop
    I know think she may be egg bound also.

Check out this link.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/egg-binding-symptoms-treatment-and-prevention

8. kissmeUfool

Aug 1, 2013
    Thank you for the link. I checked her vent and she does have an egg stuck. I gave her (force fed) 2 crushed tums. Gave her some water through a dropper and soaked her in the kitchen sink in warm water for 20 minutes. I towel dried her and put her in a cage on her own so the other hens and the rooster will leave her alone. I don't think she is going to make it though, her comb is just a droop and she barely opens her eyes, she is also very weak.

9. waynem1983

waynem1983 Chirping

May 30, 2014
    Gloucestershire, England
    Im no expert, but maybe try a little sugar water, give her an energy boost, also some lubricant around the vent, vaseline or ky jelly?

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: