Broody hen, peeps, and established flock

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Diane Kaylee, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Diane Kaylee

Diane Kaylee New Egg

Mar 22, 2016
    Hello everyone, looking for some thoughts. I have a run area of about 25'x100', maybe slightly larger, can't recall the exact measurments. I cannot allow my birds to totally run free due to the neighbors dog, but our run area is pretty large. I have 6 girls about 26 weeks old, and 4 girls about 14-16 weeks (we rescued them so not totally sure of their exact age). We have 1 broody currently on 2 eggs due this weekend. Do you think with the amount of space I have outside the coop her little ones will be safe with her inside our run? We introduced the younger girls to the older girls a few weeks back, and still after several weeks we are not totally getting along, but we are managing, I think we are still establishing our order. Will they accept the peeps under moms watch any easier than they accepted the other newer girls? I certainly don't want to have the peeps killed.

2. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Whether the chicks are safe in your flock depends on the ability of the broody hen to convince the immature members to keep their distance. Broodies can be formidable forces, and most smart chickens will not choose to tangle with them.

I've been watching a broody hen raise a single chick in my flock of twenty-five, and no one messes with her chick. Unlike former chick broods that grew up in my flock without a broody hen, this chick isn't chased or pecked like those were.

3. carlf

carlf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2016
    Mobile, AL
    IMO, you have nothing to worry about. Your broody hen will vey quickly let everyone else know that she and her chicks are not to be messed with.
    My broody hen was the low hen in the flock and my dominant hen never messed with the peeps when she brought them out of the coop into the run..

4. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Welcome to Backyard chickens!! I hope you enjoy it and the camaraderie here and everybody that goes nuts over chickens (me being one of them....) Have fun! And ask questions! I have yet to have a broody, so I don't know much, but just from knowing chicken behavior, I would say she will protect them. I have a friend that owned a silkie, and she died protecting her babies, she saw a hawk come swooping down, called her babies, they ran under her, and she crouched over them, but the hawk plucked her up and off of them. My friend was inside the house and saw it happen, but she got outside too late.

5. Diane Kaylee

Diane Kaylee New Egg

Mar 22, 2016
    Thanks everyone, next question....my nesting boxes are on the floor or the coop, with 4 walls obviously. The big girls can crawl in and out, but how do the peeps get out? Am I going to have to cut an opening in the front of the box for them to exit?

6. carlf

carlf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2016
    Mobile, AL
    How tall is the lip of the nest box???
    They should be able to jump out if its not too tall and there is enough straw in the box.

7. Diane Kaylee

Diane Kaylee New Egg

Mar 22, 2016

8. Diane Kaylee

Diane Kaylee New Egg

Mar 22, 2016
    Our boxes are pretty deep, but maybe with enough straw like you said they may be able to get out....I'll try that, thank you

9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Will they be able to get back in tho?
    I built a little ramp for this situation.
    Probably wasn't necessary,
    but it was middle of winter and I didn't want them to get stranded out of nest.

[​IMG]

That's a nice big run area...how big is the coop?
    Also the run walls material, will the chicks be able to get thru it?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
  10. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    Mama hens enjoy a special place in chicken pecking orders and almost always the mama hen will protect her brood from the other hens in your flock. You should be worried more about what the hen with new chicks will do to your other birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by