Broody hen playing musical eggs... Help please! lol (5 new chicks!)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by greginshasta, May 11, 2009.

1. greginshasta

greginshasta Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2007
    Mount Shasta, CA
    This nutcase hen is making me crazy. We got her a bunch of (hopefully) fertile eggs on Friday after she sat on nuttin for a couple days. I really wish I had marked the eggs with a pencil or such given the events this morning. [​IMG]

So on Friday we put the 8 fertile eggs under her and feel like all should be well because she is parked under the nesting boxes, two of the boxes above her are virtually never used (our hens almost exclusively lay in the boxes on the other side of the coop), and nobody but this hen EVER lays eggs where she is below the boxes. That's been her place to lay eggs for the past couple months, and her's alone.

I go out there this morning and one of our SLWs are sitting in the corner next to the Maran. I move the SLW out of the way because I see she has eggs under her. Oh great, I think, 8 eggs. So I move the Maran and she has 6 under her. Now I have no idea which are which.

Waiting for my wife to come home, I ask her to grab the eggs and candle them. But when she goes out she only returns with 4. I ask, where are the others? So we go back out and the Maran has snatched the other 4 - she is now sitting on 10 eggs. I CAN'T KEEP TRACK OF ALL THIS SILLINESS!

We took the 4 that Sunny had originally grabbed, held them against a 75 watt bulb and can't see anything in particular. Which may mean that out of the 10 the Maran is sitting on, at least 2 are most certainly not fertile (we have no roosters).

Should we snatch all of the eggs under the Maran, candle them, and only return those that have clear signs of fertility? Or should we just leave them all under her and hope for the best?

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 31, 2009
  2. rigagirl

rigagirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2008
    churchville ny
    if she hasn't been laying on them long there is no sense in candling them. someone on here says its not good to candle more than necessary 10 days and i guess 20 days is good.

3. jenni2142

jenni2142 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    South Carolina
    mark all the eggs and candle at day 10 I think, you should be able to tell which is fertile at that point.

Last edited: May 11, 2009
  4. greginshasta

Jul 26, 2007
    Mount Shasta, CA
    ok, I see. So candling won't work for several days? Alright, then here's the challenge. We are working with 14 eggs here:

8 which were obtained from a friend with roosters, and 6 which our little troublemakers decided to drop next to her just to mess with my head.

We have 4 of those eggs set aside, and 10 are under the Maran, aka Ms. Broody Huff 'n Fluff.

The Maran is a fairly heavy girl and is all fluffed up, but our friend feels a couple eggs should be removed since she cannot keep all 10 toasty warm. But it doesn't sound like one can tell at this point which to pull.

Do I just leave the 10 under her for now, and hope that they include the fertile eggs until they can be candled this coming Sunday (which would be day 10)? And the other 4? Breakfast?

thanks.

5. rigagirl

rigagirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2008
    churchville ny
    leave the 10 then at day 10 you will know which ones to take away

6. greginshasta

Jul 26, 2007
    Mount Shasta, CA
    okey dokey. I'd choke that hen if I didn't like her so much. troublemaker.

7. MaineChickens

MaineChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2008
    Do you have a plan to separate her so this doesn't happen again? Even a dog crate with her nest will suffice...

8. greginshasta

Jul 26, 2007
    Mount Shasta, CA
    Well, I was going to wait until the eggs were close to hatching and build a wall around her, thus protecting the chicks, but I suppose I could do that now.

Honestly I don't think putting her in a dog crate is an option. A, I don't have one. B, even if I did, the space in there is quite limited and it wouldn't fit. I really wish I had made this larger, and as it is, it's a mansion.

I think I will create a frame with chicken wire that will cover the area around her.

9. JenniferJoIN

JenniferJoIN Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    I wrote a couple posts on my blog about my issues with this same problem. It was horrible! Between other hens getting in her nest and cracking eggs, and her collecting more and more eggs, I never knew what was going on!!

I highly recommend seperating her NOW. It will help her relax more and it will keep the other hens out of her nest. I've had much better luck the second time around when I seperated her first thing!

Goodluck!

10. shaggy

shaggy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Orange, Texas
    sorry but .... that's hilarious

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by