Broody hen pooping in nest next to peeps Help!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bantyshanty, Sep 22, 2010.

1. bantyshanty

bantyshanty Oval Office Courier

Oct 6, 2009
    S.W Pennsylvania
    She started this about a week before hatch date. I took her off twice a day to poop, as the brooder box has a closed door, but she did it anyway.
    Now she has 2 two-day-old day old chicks and she poops the terrible broody bombs right next to them without even going to the corner, and the brooder is 30 " long!

I;m gone during the day most days, when she does this, and one baby always has a little poo on it from her.

Anything I can do if I don't take her out constantly? She eats the chick starter to gain back the weight, I'm sure. She's a silkie, first time mom.

2. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Stupid things like that often go with first timers. Put them out in a run, if possible, or at least a larger enclosure.......Pop

3. suebee

suebee Speaks Silkie Fluently

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    This happens all the time with my broodies, there's really nothing you can do but keep a roll of paper towels handy (and maybe a shovel [​IMG]
    and get the poops up when you get home. Chicks hate Mom's poop so they'll try to avoid it. Just remember the chicks won't be harmed from a little poop on them. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  4. bantyshanty

bantyshanty Oval Office Courier

Oct 6, 2009
    S.W Pennsylvania
    Thanks! The chicks seem fine, and I'm scooping the poop [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by