Broody hen, poor nest site...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Lurkeygirl2011, Apr 29, 2011.

1. Lurkeygirl2011

Lurkeygirl2011 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2011
    I think I have a hen that is broody. I have never had this before. I actually thought she got picked off because I have not seen her in probably two weeks. But I found her today in the barn. She is sitting on a nest, the only problem is that it is on a hay wagon, probably 4 feet from the ground.

What should I do?

If she hatches out chicks can they make it down okay? Or, I thought about putting cardboard around her so the chicks wouldn't be about to get out and then catching them all and moving them to a safe location.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Hens used to hatch their chicks in hay lofts all the time. They will be able to get down just fine. The only problem will be if one decides to leave early, or falls, and she stays with the nest. There's a good chance that if you try to move her now she will abandon the nest. I would probably wait til just after they hatch, then move them all, including the nesting material if possible. You could do something like the cardboard if you wish. Usually it will take about 24 hours for all of them to hatch, before she leaves any unhatched eggs to teach her chicks to eat and drink. If the eggs are of different ages, she will probably be leaving eggs behind, so you should have enough time to move everyone after they hatch.

http://www.themodernhomestead.us/article/Broody-Hens-1.html

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by