Broody hen problem URGENT! Will my hen hatch a second clutch of eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenchick4, Jul 5, 2016.

1. chickenchick4

chickenchick4 New Egg

Jul 5, 2016
    I recentlty atempted to hatch a few chicks but they died due to one of my hens killing them how ever my broody is bottom of the pecking order.

Will she hatch a second clutch of eggs if i give her some more eggs and seperate her in to a quiet broody coop?

She is currently on fake eggs!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] If she stays broody for another 21 days it may debilitate her. There is also a strong possibility that she will break her broodiness.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

I also wouldn't try it. I think it's too hard on her body, especially in summer heat. she's also quite likely to quit in the middle.

If you can get your hands on day old chicks, you could try grafting some to her. If you've taken care of the issue with the other hen.

1 person likes this.
  4. chickenchick4

chickenchick4 New Egg

Jul 5, 2016
    she just wont give up ive tried water dunking and taking her off her nest to break her broodines but 20 minutes later shes back on the nest again what shall i do? she has had 2 sucsessful hathes before but im worried if its too exorsting for her.

should i give her 5 new eggs to hatch [​IMG] or just forget about it

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Lock her in a cage so that she is unable to return to her nest site. Do so until she stops being clucky. Or let her set on 5 eggs understanding that she might die or break broodiness. It's your choice.

6. chickenchick4

chickenchick4 New Egg

Jul 5, 2016
  7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    My experience went like this: After her setting for 3 days and nights in the nest, I put her in a wire dog crate with smaller wire on the bottom but no bedding, set up on a couple of 4x4's right in the coop and I would feed her some crumble a couple times a day.

I let her out a couple times a day(you don't have to) and she would go out into the run, drop a huge turd, race around running, take a vigorous dust bath then head back to the nest... at which point I put her back in the crate. Each time her outings would lengthen a bit, eating, drinking and scratching more and on the 3rd afternoon she stayed out of the nest and went to roost that evening...event over, back to normal tho she didn't lay for another week or two.
    Water nipple bottle added after pic was taken.
    [​IMG]

8. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    I just had a hen go broody. Put her in a wire cage, and three days later, she's no longer broody. Works like a charm for even the most determined hens.
    If you really want her to have some babies, you can always get a few day old chicks from the feed store and slip them under her. It's better then giving her a fresh clutch of eggs at this point.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by