Broody hen problem

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by scgamecock, Feb 12, 2008.

1. scgamecock

scgamecock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Conway SC
    My BLRW hen that I talked about last week has been doing real well.I have caught her up eating and drinking several times.I have had a problem with other hens laying their eggs with her and I have to take them out each evening.You know she would have had to pick the favorite box of all the hens to set in.Anyway Saturday I decided to move her and give her a special new box so as to maybe give her some more privacy and it's worked until I got home today.She has decided to get back on the old nest and the eggs are cold.They weren't anything special, just a few out of the layer pen she was in.I cracked the eggs and most of them were developing well so I know they were fertilized.Now the question is, she has been sitting for 9 days already but I had been taking the eggs from her to see if she was going to stick it out.Thursday I gave her some to keep and she's done a fine job.Now I really want to try her and see if she will be a good mother and raise a few young chicks for me for future reference.If i get some eggs set up in the bator by tomorrow and hatch them for her it will be over 30 days of her sitting.I hate to do that to her so my best bet would be to make a small order of chicks and give her a couple to try with.If she doesn't accept them then I willhave to put them in the brooder.She really wants to be a mother and I want to ablige her so what would you do ?

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I had a broody that set on air for 23 days...finally gave her a clutch of eggs and she hatched them out...was broody for a total of 45 days...she did fine...I had to keep an eye on her to make sure she was eating and drinking and getting up to poo...I did place her in a dog crate tho to keep the other hens from laying in the same nest as hers...

3. scgamecock

Jan 18, 2008
    Conway SC
    What about waiting until the eggs are pipping and put them under her to hatch?Then she actually see's them come out of the egg.

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I've never done that, so I wouldn't know what to tell you there...if she had eggs under her and you switched them that might work ...I think some on here have taken and set pipped eggs under a hen thats broody and removed the fake eggs she had but someone else will have to chime in...

I'd just be afraid of losing the hatch or chicks myself......my opinion....

5. scgamecock

Jan 18, 2008
    Conway SC
    Yeah that would be bad to get them that far and then lose them.

6. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    I would let her set on them for at least a week before they hatch because she talks to them and they talk to her in the egg----now I am NOT THAT EXPERIENCED----but I have seen what my hens do

7. scgamecock

Jan 18, 2008
    Conway SC
    I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet.Keep the advice coming.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by