1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broody Hen / pullet Help!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by HaileysHenHouse, Apr 10, 2016.

1. HaileysHenHouse

HaileysHenHouse Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2016
    I have an almost 10 month old pullet (standered brahma) she laid for about a 4 days about a months ago and hasn't layed since what should I do?? Plus I know there good mothers even though she's not laying can I still try and make here broody?

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    More important than trying to make her broody (which, btw, there are no truly reliable ways to do so) would be to look for the cause of her disruption in production. Had she just started laying when she laid for those four days or had she been laying and only laid four days into the month then stopped? Was there a change in her behavior, appetite, waste, appearance, etc at the time that she stopped laying? Were there any changes in your flock at that time?

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I'm sorry it's not possible to make a hen broody. It's mainly a hormonal thing. Are you sure she hasn't laid any eggs somewhere else, where you can't find them? Pullets sometimes do lay a few eggs and stop and can be erractic about starting up again. You can check out the "Chicken behaviors and egg laying ," thread

4. HaileysHenHouse

Mar 13, 2016
    She's a real home girl and it's so snowy out she won't leave! I don't really know.

5. HaileysHenHouse

Mar 13, 2016

Nope she laid for the first time for about four days in a row then stopped I knew that would probably happen but for two months! She doesn't do anything really different.

6. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
    CT

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by