broody hen pushing eggs away

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by conroy, Aug 1, 2010.

1. conroy

conroy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    So our l'il banty EE went broody...last year she didn't lay for 8 months cause she was soo broody...this year she layed everyday for 3 months and then went broody again. SO we got her 4 fertile cuckoo maran eggs from EBAY .... ok so she has been diligent but I have noticed she pushes 2 of the eggs out and sits on the other 2 and whatever eggs my other hens have layed... do you think the ones she pushes away are not fertile? Just curious... I am hoping to get at least one chick in hopes this breaks her broodiness.

2. chickenlady08

chickenlady08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    My hen just did that last nite. I had been candling the eggs and to were questionable and when I went to get everybody closed up last nite the 2 eggs were pushed out from under her. Chickens are quite smart and they know if a egg is viable or not. So I am thinking that those eggs are no good. Have you tried to candle them to see if there is something in there? I wonder if where she is smaller is it that she has to many eggs under her and she can't cover them all.

Good Luck
    Lisa

3. conroy

conroy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    We are gonna candle them later today... idk about her size the other day she was sitting on 7 eggs....she had herself all puffed up.. it was so cute

4. chickenlady08

chickenlady08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    How long did you say she was sitting on the eggs?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by