Broody Hen Pushing Eggs Out of Nest?

Country Gal

Songster
12 Years
Feb 2, 2007
Capac, MI
I had a hen last summer that was particularly broody. She would have spent the entire summer on that nest if I let her. So I finally let her sit, assuming that she had eggs under her. I kept collecting eggs from the other nest boxes, and after a couple weeks, i found out that I sold eggs to a bunch of people that actually had little chickens in them! Not what they had bargained for when cracking them into the frying pan or brownie batter!!!

Has this ever happened to anyone else? Is it normal for a broody hen to constantly be pushing eggs out from under herself? She never did end up hatching anything...

Thanks!
Kelly

I've had 4 broodies none have done this. Perhaps she is just not going to make a good broody hen. I would keep an eye and chase her out of the nest box when she starts in again. If you have never seperated her when she goes broody she may be doing this in rejection of other hens eggs if they're laying in her nest. If you haven't seperated her to a private place try that and see how she behaves.

Back
Top Bottom