Broody Hen Question - I'm Being Paranoid...

CluckNDoodle

Hatchaholic
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Jan 12, 2019
Georgia
lol, Ok, For someone that has allowed so many broody hens to hatch chicks, you would think I would be a master by now. 😅
I've been working to improve my methods with each hatch but I can't deny that the control I have over my incubator vs broody hens is much more comfortable for me!

So, my question, has anyone had a hen stop getting off the nest around day 17/18???

This is my first time utilizing a kennel for my broody. I will be moving her to the broody pen after the chicks have hatched but I've had too many hens freak out from being moved from the location they selected for themselves while still sitting on the eggs, so I decided that this time I would wait until we were getting close to hatch and move the hen from the nest box that the rest of the flock has access to and put her in a small kennel temporarily so the chicks would be safe from the flock while hatching.
That's where I am now (day 19)...on day 17 I replaced the nest box with the kennel and put her inside with food and water. She freaked out initially which I expected but she then settled down on her eggs. The problem is, I'm now on day 19 and I don't see where she has eaten any food or drank any water and there's no poop in there either...sooo it would appear she's not getting up to eat, drink, and poo? Should I be worried? Do I need to take her out to make sure she takes care of business? I wouldn't be so concerned if today were day 21 but I feel like if she waits until hatch day that's just too long! I'm also feeling a tad more paranoid because she's not the smartest chicken...she's a Silkie/Polish cross.

lol, I would like to think that if she gets hungry or thirsty enough she would notice the food and water right in front of her face...Thanks for any opinions!

lol, Ok, For someone that has allowed so many broody hens to hatch chicks, you would think I would be a master by now. 😅
I've been working to improve my methods with each hatch but I can't deny that the control I have over my incubator vs broody hens is much more comfortable for me!

So, my question, has anyone had a hen stop getting off the nest around day 17/18???

This is my first time utilizing a kennel for my broody. I will be moving her to the broody pen after the chicks have hatched but I've had too many hens freak out from being moved from the location they selected for themselves while still sitting on the eggs, so I decided that this time I would wait until we were getting close to hatch and move the hen from the nest box that the rest of the flock has access to and put her in a small kennel temporarily so the chicks would be safe from the flock while hatching.
That's where I am now (day 19)...on day 17 I replaced the nest box with the kennel and put her inside with food and water. She freaked out initially which I expected but she then settled down on her eggs. The problem is, I'm now on day 19 and I don't see where she has eaten any food or drank any water and there's no poop in there either...sooo it would appear she's not getting up to eat, drink, and poo? Should I be worried? Do I need to take her out to make sure she takes care of business? I wouldn't be so concerned if today were day 21 but I feel like if she waits until hatch day that's just too long! I'm also feeling a tad more paranoid because she's not the smartest chicken...she's a Silkie/Polish cross.

lol, I would like to think that if she gets hungry or thirsty enough she would notice the food and water right in front of her face...Thanks for any opinions!
Sounds like she's a Die Hard broody. Those you have to move off the nest so she can take her normal breaks. It's not good if she's not doing it on her own.

Ok, I'm going to give her until this afternoon and if she doesn't eat and drink on her own I'll take her out of the kennel and bring her to the food and water in the run instead.

I've wondered this as well. I think it's the time right before they internally pip. After they internally or externally pip they jump up off the eggs, run around and eat a ton because of their fast and drink, poop, ect. They then hunker down to finish the hatch.
This fasting time is when they poop the bed so to say, sometimes.
I feel like they know what they're doing, as it's a process.Fasting is part of the proces, like don't open the incubator time. 😊

I've wondered this as well. I think it's the time right before they internally pip. After they internally or externally pip they jump up off the eggs, run around and eat a ton because of their fast and drink, poop, ect. They then hunker down to finish the hatch.
This fasting time is when they poop the bed so to say, sometimes.
I feel like they know what they're doing, as it's a process.Fasting is part of the proces, like don't open the incubator time. 😊

Ok! I hope so! Maybe I'll get lucky and they will hatch early so I don't need to feel so worried about her, lol. She's one of the family favorites so I'm hyper vigilant. lol

Ok! I hope so! Maybe I'll get lucky and they will hatch early so I don't need to feel so worried about her, lol. She's one of the family favorites so I'm hyper vigilant. lol
She's probably talking to the chicks in the eggs now, so to say. She knows its about time, and is staying with them encouraging them to come out into the world. It won't be long now!

She's probably talking to the chicks in the eggs now, so to say. She knows its about time, and is staying with them encouraging them to come out into the world. It won't be long now!

🥰 Thank you for helping to calm my nerves this morning! I'm sure you're right!

I just checked on her! Things finally appeared to have moved a little and i touched her crop and there was a little squish so I'm hoping that was something new in there, lol. I also candled one of the eggs and it's definitely about to internally pip so maybe we'll have chicks tomorrow!

Back
Top Bottom