Broody Hen question pls. With pic

cattbird

Songster
10 Years
May 21, 2009
Essex Uk
I have a new broody and was wondering if anyone could help me with these questions?

*Does the broody hen with eggs need her own pen? Will she need to be by herself with the chicks after they hatch? (I only have 2 hens who are sisters and best friends, If I had to separate the broody it would mean putting the other hen by herself.. and they HATE to be without each other!)

*I am incubating a few eggs, due to hatch 7 days after the broody babies.. could I put them in with hers or would she notice?

*How many times do you 'nudge' your broody off the nest so she can eat/drink/poop?

Thank you !
tongue.png

Here she is :-

32048_p1300472.jpg

Congrats catbird!! I have no idea what I am doing so don't listen to me. I know not all hens need to be removed to some where else to have their brood. I would guess if there are only two hens they should be fine together. Did you buy the eggs she is sitting on or do you have a roo too?

Good Morning Catbird. You have a Silkie hen, so I'm assuming her "sister" is a Silkie; that breed LOVES to sit on/hatch/raise their young together so leave them be.
You won't have to "nudge" your broody off the nest--she'll get up to eat, drink and pooh when she needs to, and its usually when you're not looking.
As for adding the chicks from the incubator--7 days difference in age doesn't seem like much, but it is. Chicks do alot of growing in those early weeks so I'm pretty sure the hens will notice a difference. If you choose to ad the 7 anyway, do it at night, slip them in under the hen; you should stick around a while, and definitely be their at sunup the next morning to make sure the "7 newbies" aren't getting attacked.
Best of luck to you!!

Back
Top Bottom