BROODY HEN QUESTION ?????**UPDATE**

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by daisychick, Feb 9, 2009.

1. daisychick

daisychick Incubator Tetris Master Consultant

Feb 8, 2009
    Colorado
    ok when it rains it pours around here! I have my first batch of eggs in bator and now I have a serious Broody hen!!!

She just started this today. Would not budge from nest even after dark. My nests are raised off the ground and so I set up a dog crate in the pen, made her a nice nest, carefully moved her and the eggs into the safe location, shut the cage door and all Heck Broke lose!!!

She jumped all over tipped over the nest broke the eggs and so I gave up and let her out!

My question is this. How do I move a broody hen and the eggs from my raised nests with out this happening!!!!!! I would love to let her hatch out some eggs but I don't know how to move her.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2009
  2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Put her in the cage in the dark and on golf balls to start, until she settles in. Walk away. [​IMG] After a couple days, give her the eggs to hatch.

3. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    I have moved all my broodies if i decide to let them hatch. First i take the eggs from under the hen and place them in the "new nest" Take mama out and put some feed out for her,let her eat and do her broody business and then gently take her and place her in with the new nest and eggs. She should settle down on the eggs. Not all hens are the same tho so this is not guarenteed to work for you but it has worked for me so far [​IMG]

4. daisychick

Feb 8, 2009
    Colorado
    if I don't have golf balls can I give her some old eggs from the fridge and mark them so I know they are bad??

And then when I give her real hatching eggs then do I just slip them under her and hope she doesn't freak out???

5. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    I always move my broodies into a dog crate. I make a nest inside of the dog crate first and i get all the eggs she is broody on and place inside of the crate. Then I put her inside...mine girls usally run straight to their eggs without any fit throughing.

6. daisychick

Feb 8, 2009
    Colorado
    This is not one of my favorite hens because she is always a little flighty...but she sure has always been a little broody and today she went all out broody. I wish she was a calmer hen. Not even sure I should try this with her but I can't resist the temptation!!

I really have nothing to lose since the eggs are just backyard mixes.

7. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    I moved my broody and her eggs after she was sitting on them for about a week. I went out at night, with my hubby's help. He gently picked her up and I took the eggs - we moved them to the new, safe nest and she was just fine with it.

I know that you have to be careful about moving eggs after, I think, day 16? - someone can clarify that.

Good luck. Some hens just don't like to be messed with...

8. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I suggested golf balls so she doesn't end up breaking your already incubated eggs. You can use fridge eggs, but let them come to room temp so they're not real cold when you place her on them. At least if she breaks those, you haven't lost anything for the try. Not all broodies like to work with you. It's certainly worth trying tho.

Maybe closing the gate scared her. Try placing her in it in the dark and leave it open until she adjusts to this is where she should be sitting.

9. daisychick

Feb 8, 2009
    Colorado
    ok I just went out there and put some fridge eggs and I did warm them up in warm water. I then put her in and put her on the nest. She did not freak out and try to fly out this time but she did not settle in yet either. Hopefully tomorrow I will go out there and she will be sitting in her new little nest!!!!

Then I will have the challenge of sneaking in some fertile eggs.

Thanks for the ideas. I hope this works.

10. daisychick

Feb 8, 2009
    Colorado
    Update: I went out there this morning and she is sitting on her new nest with the decoy eggs!!! WHOOOHOOO success! Now I have the challenge of sneaking in fertile eggs.

Should I wait till dark and sneak them in?? How many is too many?? What is a good number of eggs to give her and have a successful hatch? This will be her first time and mine too!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by