1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broody Hen question.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by indigo flats, Feb 7, 2017.

1. indigo flats

indigo flats Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2017
    Elgin South Carolina
    How many eggs will a hen lay before she sets them? I seen a hen bee line to a hidden nest so I am thinking she is going to go broody. She has been laying in the nest box in the hen house then I noticed she wasn't laying in there anymore and decided to watch her I found her hiding spot. Haven't look in for eggs yet.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
  2. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    Depends on the hen. Some lay 12+, others are happy with 4 or 5.

3. indigo flats

Jan 29, 2017
    Elgin South Carolina
    It's a very nice formed hest circular with some depth it ihas 2 eggs right now hidden somewhat you would have to be looking for it to find it. I am wondering now how to keep predators from finding it. She must have laid one egg yesterday day because she slept in the hen house last night when I let them out this morning she bee lined straight to it that's how I know where it was.

4. TheKindaFarmGal

May 4, 2016
    You could put the nest in something like a cat carrier in the same place in the yard and make it all comfy. At night, lock it. That would be safer than it sitting out there exposed to the rain and predators.

You are hoping she goes broody on it?

5. indigo flats

Jan 29, 2017
    Elgin South Carolina
    if I disturb it will she abandon it?

6. TheKindaFarmGal

May 4, 2016
    Maybe, maybe not. It's hard to say for sure. I'd let her lay one more day on it, then put a carrier (or something) there. If it's in the same spot, and she likes it, she'll go back.

If you are hoping she goes broody there, don't be surprised if something goes wrong. It's easy prey for predators, and you could lose her or the eggs.

7. indigo flats

Jan 29, 2017
    Elgin South Carolina
    I do not believe snakes are out yet but coyotes are plentiful here. I was thinking human urine would possible keep the coyotes away.

8. TheKindaFarmGal

May 4, 2016
    Don't know, I don't have experience with that.

9. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

If she is going broody the chances of you changing her mind are slim.....lol......set up a pen for her in your garage or a shed and have enough room for food and water... Build her a nest and put her eggs in the nest...She will lay or start setting? Then you will have her confined and safe the entire time she sets and hatches.......

Cheers!

10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Just because she's laying in a range nest instead of in the coop doesn't mean she going to go broody.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by